Why The Unicorn Frappuccino is Overrated and 5 Other Drinks You Should Get Instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The Unicorn Trend, a blend of everything pink, blue, and purple is taking over the Internet as the new millennial obsession. In terms of food, it started out as a Unicorn themed latte, a drink that can often be found at “The End”, a small local coffee shop in Brooklyn. It has now become integrated into Starbucks, with the new reveal of the limited edition Unicorn Frappuccino. The Frappuccino is an ice blended mango creme flavored drink, infused with hints of vanilla bean, and created with an ombre effect throughout. To top it off, the baristas add a swirl of whipped cream and sprinkles. Sounds magical?

Since the Unicorn Frappuccino was only available for four days, people hectically rushed to the stores to try and grab a cup. Sooner or later, it infiltrated social media on Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. What hyped the drink up even more was that it was said to be color-changing. But is this drink really worth all that people say it is? Instead of tasting like a soft blend of mango vanilla cream, the drink tasted like Willy Wonka’s Nerds candy blended with milk, water, and ice. It was more like a berry smoothie than a mango flavored one, with a tacky blast of pure sugar with a sour aftertaste. It was also not “color-changing” in any way.

Whilst the Unicorn Frappuccino may be a great addition to one’s Instagram profile or Snapchat story, Starbucks has many other drinks available that offer a blend of these flavors, which are sold all year round. Here are a few refreshing options from the menu:

1. Mango Passion Fruit Frappuccino

Seeing as the Unicorn Frappuccino was meant to be a mango flavored drink, a much more practical option to get the mango burst in one’s mouth would be the Mango Passion Fruit Frappuccino, an ice-blended fruity drink that would make you feel as if you were in paradise.

2. Vanilla Bean Créme Frappuccino

The barista’s goal with the Unicorn Frappuccino was to also add a hint of vanilla bean, which was hard to find in the blended drink. Another viable option would be to have the classic Vanilla Bean Créme Frappuccino, which has been a staple at Starbucks ever since its opening.

3. Pink Drink

The Pink Drink was a trend a while ago which ended up sticking on the menu, specifically for its aesthetic as a millennial pink colored drink. Starbucks barista’s took the renowned Strawberry Acai refresher and added a hint of coconut milk to make this wonderful creation – which is a great alternative to get a berry blast in your system.

4. Very Berry Hibiscus

Another way to add a hint of berry with a twist is to check out the Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher, which is a blend of green tea, real fruit juice, and whole hearty blackberries, served over a ton of ice – perfect for hot weather.

5. Cool Lime

Another one of the Starbuck’s refreshers is the Cool Lime drink, a blend of green coffee extract, real fruit juice, mint and limes. This drink is a perfect alternative for the sour flavor that is found in the Unicorn Frappuccino, without all the extra additives that are found in colorful drink.

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com