Valentine’s Day Guide for All The Single Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and we single ladies need to find a fun way to spend it! Just because we don’t have a special someone doesn’t mean we can’t participate in the festivities that this holiday has to offer. So, here are a few quick ideas on how to relax and celebrate so that we, too, can truly enjoy ourselves on February 14.

Make Dessert!

How can anyone resist baking?! Whether it’s whipping up a cake, cookies, brownies, or even pie, the experience is guaranteed to be a fantastic and delicious one. The smell of warm sugar baking in the oven is irresistible. Grab a friend or two, a sister or brother, or even just yourself, look up a recipe for the dessert you’re currently craving, buy the ingredients, and head to the kitchen! This Valentine’s Day, we’re especially excited to make heart-shaped macarons using the recipe here.

Rom-Com anyone?

Watching a movie is always a wonderful way to unwind, and to get into the Valentine’s Day spirit, opt for a romantic comedy. La La Land is still playing in movie theaters, so if you are willing to brave the cold, wintery weather, grab a ticket and a friend, and head to your local theater to enjoy this award-winning movie. Or, stay inside at home or your dorm and stream your favorite movie or TV series on Netflix. 13 Going on 30 and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days are great classics for Valentine’s Day. Whatever you choose, watching a movie is an awesome activity for us single gals.

Shop until we DROP!

Who doesn’t like to go shopping? This upcoming Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to do a little shopping for your spring and summer wardrobe staples. We can treat ourselves to a new handbag, blouse, a pair of new sandals, or whatever catches our eye as we window shop on our commute to class each morning. Time to explore all of the unique boutiques in Soho!

Spa Time! ​

If February 14 is completely empty on your calendar, consider booking a spa day for yourself. Refresh and recharge with a facial, mani-pedi, or a blow out at your local salon. There are some excellent spa packages here that are available at an affordable price. Text your friends, sisters, or mother to see if they are available to join you! Spend the day pampering yourself before midterm season.

Just Relax!

If none of the above suggestions above sound intriguing to you, there is always the option to just chill. Keeping things simple can still be fun, and don’t forget to eat! Grab brunch or dinner with friends, or go by yourself and truly enjoy your meal. Regardless, we don’t need a special someone to enjoy ourselves! Need a brunch restaurant suggestion? Check out Jack’s Wife Freda! They are famous for their Jack’s Breakfast dish, and you can read all the delicious details about it here.

We hope these ideas inspire you and brighten up your Valentine’s Day this year. Before midterms commence, we should definitely enjoy ourselves a bit!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / Author’s Own

Stephanie Cen, currently a senior in her last semestter at NYU Tisch as a Film and TV Production major has stopped writing for Her Campus, but has never truly stopped writing. With her shift in majors, she has changed her focus to woking on scripts for her short films that she produces in her film production classes. She has now made around seven films and is going on to finally work on her thesis film. When Stephanie isn’t at school or writing her next script, she can be most likely found working at an internship or part-time job, playing video games, exploring the city with friends, or making something delicious at home. 
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com