Unique Valentine’s Day Gifts for Girls and Guys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Top Row:

1. If it’s true that eighty percent of the female population will most likely be in the theatres on Valentine’s Day seeing Fifty Shades of Grey, then this special edition makeup set from Make Up For Ever will be the ideal companion gift. The set comes with a ~sultry~ velvet bag and a cheeky palette consisting of three blush shades all perfect for a night out on the town. Sephora, $49  

2. These Clarisonic Mia’s are not only insanely good at what they’re intended to do – clear facial complexions with an invigorating daily wash – but they also come in insanely cute patterns, like this light pink polka dot. Macy’s, $149

3. Poncho scarves are the staple of any winter wardrobe: they can be layered, worn in multiple fashions, and they’re warmer than any run-of-the-mill chunky sweater. ASOS, $36

4. Scented candles can be two things: deliciously smelling like a warm sugar cookie, or polished enough to be a great coffee table addition. Here are two options for whichever route you may choose. (Left) Bath and Body Works, $22. (Right) Tory Burch, Available at Nordstrom, $60.

5. Chances are whoever you’re buying for loves coffee, tea, or hey, even hot chocolate. Ditch the traditional coffeemaker and invest in one of these Keurig Mini’s – with so many fun colors to choose from, it would brighten up any kitchen. Keurig, $99

6. If she loves fitness – and even if she’s been meaning to get into it – any trendy gal will put a SoulCycle gift card to good use. Depending on how many classes you purchase the price will vary, but you can check out SoulCycle.com for your options. Soul Cycle

7. Curly hair or straight hair, there’s a fun tool for any fashionista out there. Just like the Clarisonic, these heat styling tools are both efficient and bold accessories. (Left) Drybar, Available at Sephora, $125 (Right) Eva NYC, Available at Nordstrom, $50

Bottom Row:

1. Rain boots! But cheetah print! What’s not to love? J.Crew, $68

2. Library of Flowers is one of my favorite brands fragrant wise, and their hand lotions are just as lust-worthy. The packaging is adorable and will keep dry hands moisturized all winter long. Library of Flowers, Available at Casa.com, $24 each

3. If she’s got roommates, a sleep-mask is something she’ll be incredibly thankful for. This one from Wildfox is soft and easy on sensitive skin — and totally appropriate for Valentine’s Day given the coy statement it makes.  Shopbop, $28

4. When buying books for a fashionista you have endless possibilities, but these best-sellers are probably at the top of her reading list. If she’s a healthy foodie with a large appetite, go for the cookbook. If she’s stylish and chic, model Alexa Chung’s autobiography or the recently released How to Be Parisian (written by four other It-girls) are both good choices. From left to right: Amazon, $18; Barnes & Noble, $27; Random House, $25

Top Row:

1. If your dude is still in school and hiking across campus everyday for class, Herschel backpacks are an affordable but stylish gift option. They have so many designs that you’re bound to fit something that fits his style and his textbooks. Herschel Supply Co., $48 – $90

2. Every guy needs a beanie to keep warm during the winter, and this one’s standard enough that no one could be picky about it. Brixton, Available on Swell, $18

3. Same as number two. This scarf is cashmere (and on sale!), so it’s bound to last through seasons of wear. Alexander Wang, $122

4. Timberlands may be his go-to boot for the fall, but they won’t cut it for the winter. These Columbias have the same look of the ionic hiking boot but are designed for snow as deep as those on the slopes. Columbia, Available on Zappos.com, $160

5. Does your guy sleep? Enough said. Lands’ End, $35

6. Your guy may not care that bkr water bottles are super trendy right now, but he’ll probably love the sleek and masculine feel of this one. Added bonus: glass water bottles are perfect to toss into any bag without leakage – and that includes gym bags! Bkr bottle, Available on Amazon, $30

7. Fitbits are the equivalent of wearing a personal trainer on your wrist. If your dude hits the gym a lot, he’ll probably get a lot of use out of this daily tracker. Fitbit, Available at Lord & Taylor, $100

8. Girls get expensive jewelry; guys get expensive sunglasses. This Ray Ban classic is a safe bet. Ray Ban, Available at Bergdorf Goodman, $155

9. He will never know he needed a re-usable ceramic ramen cup in his life until you give it to him. Trust me. Suck UK, $20

Bottom Row:

1. Bacon and chocolate are most guys favorite food, so naturally this maple bacon gourmet chocolate will be everything he’s wanted in life (and more). Vosges Chocolate, Available on Gifts.com, $33

2. If he’s a gym rat he probably already has tubs of protein powder littering his kitchen. Give him a good reason to put it to use with this Protein Powder Cookbook. Seriously, what’s better than a chocolate chip cookie that also happens to contain his essential supplements? Amazon, $18

3. Instead of taking your dude out to the bar for a Valentine’s Day drink, DIY the drinks yourselves with this beer making kit. Although you won’t be able to drink it immediately because the beer has to ferment, it will give you both something to look forward to over the weeks to come. Brooklyn Brew Shop, Available on Amazon, $40

4. Cool bottle openers to open said beers (so he can finally stop using the ridiculous hidden bottle opener on the bottom of his flip-flops).  (Left) Pier 1, $8 (Right) Arthur Court Barware, Available at Macy’s, $20

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein 
Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.