Trend Alert: Japanese Souvenir Jackets (and Where to Buy Them!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

This fall, fall in love with these vintage Japanese jackets. Silky, bright and graphic, they are the perfect jackets for fall and are perfect transitions into 2017. Runways proved that next season, the more graphic the better. Why not start now?

Japanese souvenir jackets were incredibly popular in the 1980s for mastering a kind of cool aesthetic and vibrancy. They represent some of Japan’s most beautiful trends. After American occupation in Japan, the Japanese actually gave these jackets to US GIs as souvenirs. Since then, the jackets have become a symbol of culturally-aware chicness. The wide variety of lively colors and graphics makes the jackets incredibly unique. Finding one that matches your own personality and style won’t be hard, but getting your hands on one isn’t exactly easy, so here’s a little break down.

If your style is simply authentic, you’ll want to start saving now for a vintage 80s jacket. Perks include street cred, originality and a lifelong investment piece in your wardrobe. Being young includes changing styles every four months or so, but buying vintage means when you’re done with it as a jacket, it remains an art piece.

Here are some spots you should shop at…

1. Etsy

Lots of markets sell these jackets for a decent price. The average cost seems to be around $100, but there are some rare finds just waiting to ordered. Also, when you buy on Etsy, you know that you’re helping a small business owner expand and that itself just feels good! Older jackets tend to have a more intricate embroidery and aren’t usually machine produced identically.

2. Ebay

Jackets on this website go for around the same price at Etsy. There have been instances of there being $30 jackets on eBay, but some serious digging will have to be done. However, the vetting process is less strict than that of Etsy. Beware of scams!

3. TopShop and TopMan

One major perk of not buying vintage? The price! Some jackets are currently on sale at TopShop. However, note that the material and intricate designs still make these jackets a bit pricy. You can walk into any Top Shop and find these jackets—aka, they’re easy to buy as a shameless last minute splurge. Yes, one of these is technically Top Man, but these gender roles cannot hold back fashion!

4. Urban Outfitters

If there’s one thing you can count on Urban Outfitters for (besides ridiculous prices), it’s new trends. Their souvenir jackets are of high quality, thick and gorgeous. You won’t be able to get over the rich colors or fierce tiger on the back. Take that, cat callers.

5. Amazon

Where else do you go when you want something really cool for a really cheap deal? The jackets on Amazon are typically not vintage style. They cost significantly less than the jackets from other sites—maybe around forty bucks for you bargain-hunters. Many of them ship using Amazon Prime which is awesome if you’ve taken advantage of your free student trial. I can’t vouch for quality, but there’s such an extensive number of jackets here that you’re sure to find your soulmate.

6. Asos

Most of Asos’ collection is made for men. If you’re still not a fan, just think of how cozy you’ll be wrapped up in a baggy satin jacket. Pretend it’s a high school letterman jacket and you won’t be able to feel bad about binge-watching Friday Night Lights…again. Asos guarantees reliability and quality. Not to mention, students get ten percent off!

Happy shopping!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3

Zoë is a sophomore at NYU, studying Journalism and Dramatic Literature. When she isn't reading, she's tweeting @zoe1ugh1. 
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.