Top 7 Places to Go in New York for Chai Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The bitter taste of coffee is not for everyone. Or perhaps coffee has too much caffeine. Maybe you just want a change in beverage. Either way, this list provides you with excellent establishments throughout New York that serve a fine cup of chai. (A place for every day of the week!)

1. Mud/Mud spot

Hands down this is the best chai you will ever taste in your life. It is nutty, sweet and spicy all in one. Order iced and get a really artsy jar or order hot and get a thick-rimmed, orange mug.

2. Toby’s Estate Coffee—Flatiron location

Personally, ambiance plays a big role in my decision to go to certain café locations. Toby’s Estate Coffee, an Australian coffee chain, has the most fun location in the Flatiron district. Sit amongst books and floral arrangements while enjoying their chai—but be warned that their chai is for spicy chai lovers only. P.S.—if you don’t drink coffee or chai, they have hot chocolate on which they display latte art.

3. Grey Dog

If you are looking for a large, substantial amount of chai, this is the place. Their mugs are ginormous and Grey Dog serves their chai by the bag. Mixed with a small amount of honey, it is the perfect combination of flavorful yet sweet.

4. The Bean

For a simple yet satisfying classic chai, go here. The Bean never fails to disappoint with a creamy cup of the hot tea beverage. The chai flavors are subtler, but the taste is still magical.

5. Newsbar

Sweet tooth people, this chai is for you! True to their name, Newsbar offers a plethora of news magazines, which makes the experience even more enjoyable. Sit down with a hot or iced chai and read the latest issue of Vanity Fair, GQ, or whichever publication you fancy—and if you need to go to class, it’s conveniently located on University Place.

6. The Uncommons

Located close to Kimmel, this adorable game shop is on campus and offers all kinds of coffee and tea flavors, but their chai tea is definitely a favorite. If you ever feel encouraged to play board games, this is where they will have it. Also, they have pretty great bagels.

7. Georgetown Cupcakes SoHo

This is the chai in disguise! If you want a chai tea that does not really taste like chai, Georgetown Cupcakes is the way to go. It tastes somewhat like cake for some reason…perhaps their tea absorbs all delicious cupcake smells.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Hey, I'm Tiffanie Snyder! Studying MCC at NYU as a junior, I spend my time immersing myself in any kind of movie, book or magazine I can find. Chai tea is my beverage of choice, and I love almost all food. I have a Pomeranian named Tackle. I am writing for HerCampus's Blog section.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.