This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Winter is officially here, which ushers in a season of fun holiday festivities and new fashion trends. Slay like Santa in these five holiday fashion must-haves.

1. VELVET: Soft, luxurious and available in an array of rich colors, velvet is the new fuzzy sweater. It’s an easy way to elevate your outfit. 

2. JEWEL-TONES: Who doesn’t want to look like a gem at their holiday party? Jewel tones are timeless, sophisticated, and look gorgeous on all skin tones. 

3. METALLIC: Metallics are always in trend, but this 2018 holiday season they have been especially prominent with celebs rocking silver-tone skirts and dresses on the daily.

4. DARK FLORALS: Florals in winter? Absolutely. Someone alert Miranda – now, that is groundbreaking!

5. FUR: Whether it’s a warm teddy coat, faux fur, or an actual mink, stay warm bundled up under a fur coat this winter. It’s the perfect combination of fashion and function. 

At your next holiday party, try out one of these December fashion trends for a showstopping ensemble. 

Images: 0/1/2/3/4/5

Junior at New York University, studying communications and business. Follow her style page @itsautsams.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.