This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

I will admit it- I’m obsessed with TikTok. The new version of the beloved app Vine has stolen my heart and run with it. As a major fan of Vine, I was heartbroken when it shut down and beyond thrilled when I heard about the creation of TikTok. I watch short videos for hours on end, when I wake up before I fall asleep, and for endless hours in-between. TikTok videos have become the air I breathe and a lens through which I see the world and other people. I have come to identify with many of the users, who mostly make up the fabulous Generation Z, and I have never felt more proud to be part of this hilarious, innovative, and unique generation. I’ve started following certain users I find particularly funny, including @spencewuah, @marcykay4real, @ladyefron, @iamfrankiejonas, @yoleendadong, and so many more.  

However, my favorite aspect of TikTok is the hashtag feature other than the wonderfully funny videos and weird users. Following certain hashtags has allowed me to shape my specific algorithm to my particular preferences. The hashtag feature is one that I’ve found to be super handy in shaping what my algorithm shows me and what it doesn’t. It has also allowed me to find new users that I like and watch videos that I wouldn’t otherwise encounter. Here are some of my favorite niche hashtags that I recommend you follow.  

#Booktok

Any bookworm will love Book Tok. Fellow book nerds post thousands upon thousands of videos about books they recommend, book reviews, book playlists, and more. 

#History 

History Tok is for anyone and everyone who loves or hates history. Filled with endlessly original memes, from Ben Franklin adaptations of the Bachelor to connections between coronavirus and the bubonic plague, History Tok will make anyone laugh and learn. 

#Twilight/ Robert Pattinson 

Any fans of the Twilight series, film, or book franchise will love Twilight Tok. Users post their favorite clips from the movie, impressions of individual characters, and more. Robert Pattinson Tok also happens to be hilarious as he is a unique and funny actor and overall human being. Many users recreate famous Pattinson photos and make their best impressions of his performance as Edward in Twilight. 

#Schitt’s Creek 

From Moira impressions, clips of David’s favorite phrases, and impressions of Alexis Rose, Schitt’s Creek Tok has it all. Fans of the Canadian comedy series will love this side of TikTok, as it features impressions and clips of their favorite wealthy family. 

#The Princess Diaries 

The classic 2000’s films, The Princess Diaries and The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, adapted from the book series of the same name by Meg Cabot, have inspired users on TikTok to make their best impressions of their favorite characters. Clips from the movies also circulate TikTok with this hashtag, and they are too funny and nostalgic to miss out on. 

#iCarly/Spencer Shay  

For another nostalgic throwback, follow the iCarly hashtag and revisit everyone’s favorite internet stars, Carly, Freddie, and Sam. Following Gen Z’s older brother, Spencer Shay, from iCarly is also fun as he can make anyone laugh through his Nickelodeon-style antics. 

#Schmidt/New Girl 

Follow the TikTok fanbase obsessed with the modern-day version of Friends, New Girl, which is about roommates and their everyday lives. Laugh and watch people on TikTok impersonate the characters from New Girl, and watch fans make eerily accurate impressions of Schmidt. 

#PrisonTok

Hop on to Prison Tok and see how users write letters to their inmate pen pals, and how prisoners live in nearby jails. Get an inside look into what life in prison is like, and what dances prisoners like to do for their TikTok fans. 

#Trisha Paytas 

Follow the hashtag about the original YouTuber, Trisha Paytas, on TikTok for a laugh, cry session, or eating show. The endless memes about everyone’s favorite blonde aren’t ones to miss. 

#Musical Theatre 

Fans of musical theatre, and even those who hate it, will love following the musical theatre hashtag on TikTok. Users upload their covers of classic showtunes, and their own musical parodies of movies and TV shows including Ratatouille, Bridgerton, The Incredibles, and more. 

#Jewish Summer Camp 

Jews and non-Jews will enjoy following the Jewish Summer Camp hashtag on TikTok because it might be the most relatable one yet. Whether users loved Jewish summer camp or hated it, the experience is universal and hilarious. 

#MedievalTikTok

Medieval TikTok is one of the hidden gems on the content app, and one that isn’t worth missing. Users dance to the classic tunes of the old days and provide hearty laughs for their audiences with their history memes. 

#Harry Potter

Despite the J.K. Rowling controversy, go follow Harry Potter Tok for some laugh-worthy Harry Potter memes, impressions, and more. 

#Jane Austen 

Jane Austen Tok has the same vibes as cottage core TikTok, and it’s entirely worth following. Watch Austen fans reenact scenes from her books, quote their favorite quotes, and make fun of terrible adaptations of Austen’s work. 

I am a student at NYU Gallatin's School of Individualized Study concentrating in theatre, creative writing, and women's studies. I love performing, playing guitar, writing, and advocating for women's rights in my spare time! I love NYU and working with other women to change the world for the better. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I also write articles on my personal website mayamehrara.com.
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu