Things to Do in NYC This Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

1. Albertine Bookstore: 972 5th Avenue

French-American bookstore Albertine is a true NYC gem and arguably one of the most enchanting places in Manhattan. Its artfully crafted astrology ceiling is mesmerizing and the ambiance makes it the perfect place to curl up on the couch with a good book. With its close proximity to Central Park and the Met (it’s about a 2-minute walk to both), you can easily plan a whole trip around it, visiting some of New York’s most popular spots.

2. Cookie DO NYC: 550 Laguardia Place

This sweet shop has been all the rage on campus and amongst NYC foodies since its opening in January. The shop’s main attraction is its wide array of safe-to-eat cookie dough flavors. However, if you feel eating cookie dough is too risky, take a chance on their milkshakes, ice cream cookie dough sandwiches, regular cookies, cookie dough fudge, cookie dough ice cream pie, cookie cakes, and cookie cupcakes instead. Not only is everything they sell delicious but they also make for beautiful Instagrams!

3. Explore Hoboken and go to Carlo’s Bakery: 95 Washington Street, Hoboken NJ

Hoboken is a cozy, picturesque town with a lot to do. It’s a great place to take pictures of the Manhattan skyline from afar, stroll through the park and along the waterfront walkway, or even take a pottery class. While you’re in the neighborhood, try to hit up some art galleries, or visit some bars and clubs if you’re a night owl.  

Once you are there, make a pitstop at Carlo’s Bakery to chomp down on some of those drool-worthy cakes anditalian delicacies from hit show, Cake Boss. If you’re lucky enough, you might even get to meet the famous Buddy Valestro!

4. Ice Skating at Wollman Rink: Central Park

Ice Skating is a winter favorite amongst New Yorkers, and there is no better place to get in on this quintessential NYC habit than skating in the heart of Central Park. The rink is pretty spacious, not that crowded and is easy to skate on, unlike those at Rockefeller Center and Bryant Park. It is open to the public seven days a week, daily entrance costs $12-$19 and skates cost $9.

5. Spring at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens: 990 Washington Ave, Brooklyn NY

Do you prefer strolling amidst flowers to enormous museums? Well then The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens is the perfect place for you to visit during Spring! Spring is the best time to see the cherry blossoms in bloom, snap some great pictures and have a picnic with your friends all-in-one. It’s open 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday and it’s $8 admission for students.

6. The Cloisters: 99 Margaret Corbin Drive

Much like the Botanical Gardens, the Cloisters serves as an escape from the NYC concrete jungle and lets you soak in some sunlight against a medieval courtyard backdrop. Located uptown, this secluded area is gorgeous in the Spring and the ideal place to spend a lazy afternoon. It’s open 10 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. seven days a week and it’s $12 for student admission or donation of your choice.

7. Momofuku Baking Class: 55 Hope Street, Brooklyn NY

If you’re a baking connoisseur and are obsessed with Momofuku, look no further than a Momofuku baking class. At this baking class, you can learn from professional chefs how to make your very own cake and truffles! The current options are the Birthday Cake and Truffles, Chocolate Malt Cake and Truffles, Chocolate Chip Cake and Truffles, and the Heart Dusted Crack Pie and Truffles. Classes are usually held on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. A class costs $92. More information regarding tickets can be found on their website.  

8. Chelsea Market: 75 9th Avenue (Chelsea)

Artsy, vintage and filled with great food, the Chelsea Market is a favorite for many. Located right next to the High Line, the indoor market offers a diverse range of artisanal restaurants and cafes such as Amy’s Bread, The Fat Witch, Doughnuttery, and many more. It also has a bookstore, an Anthropologie location and Artists and Fleas (the Brooklyn based flea market known for its authentic art work, clothing, and jewelry).

9. Conventions : BrunchCon NYC and IMATS New York

BrunchCon NYC is happening on March 26th at Grand Prospect Hall and is sure to be a huge hit. Craving a solid brunch? Hit up this convention for selection of NYC-based artisanal food favorites like Wowfulls, House of Mac, and the Awkward Scone. Gather some friends, go on an empty stomach and have a solid time in food heaven. Tickets can be purchased on BrunchCon’s website.

IMATS New York is back again on April 7-9 for another round of makeup fiesta!  Hosted at Pier 94, IMATS gives makeup lovers the perfect opportunity to meet some of their favorite YouTube makeup artists as well as snag hot brands at a significantly lower price. Brands like Benefit, Kat Von D, and Anastasia Beverly Hills will be there. Tickets can be found on IMATs website.

10. Bite Lip Lab: 174 Prince Street (SOHO)

SOHO’s Bite Lip Lab is the obligatory NYC pitstop all makeup lovers, particularly lipstick lovers must make before leaving the city. At this “lab”, you can customize your very own lipstick by color, name, and scent/taste. It costs about 55$ to make one lipstick and 80$ to make two. You can make an appointment ahead of time but walk-ins are welcome. Happy lipstick making!

Images:

2/3/4/5/6/8/10/11/12 1/7/9: Arielle Golden

My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.