Things to Do During Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Laurie Simmons: How We See

Lena Dunham’s (the creator of HBO’s Girls) mother has a spectacularly fresh installation premiering at the Jewish Museum (1109 5th Avenue at 92nd Street). Laurie Simmons: How We See is a modern exhibition that draws inspiration from the “big eyes” originator herself, Margaret Keene. This work, from the preview pictures I’ve seen, is haunting and peculiar, with vibrant colors and a simplistic display. Catch it before it leaves on August 9th!

Walk the Williamsburg Bridge

THIS IS A MUST! I’m sure all you ladies have trekked across the Brooklyn Bridge, have almost gotten trampled by an oncoming biker, and have vowed to never return to that overcrowded, albeit beautiful, landmark. No fear! You can still take in that delightful borough via the Williamsburg Bridge! From Manhattan, you can just hop on at Delancey Street (Lower East Side) and walk right over the East River into the deliciously hip Williamsburg. Spend the day exploring there; its a fantastic little place with awesome shops, UNREAL coffee, and affordable food.

Head to Brighton Beach

Grab some sunscreen, a towel, a good book, hop on the N train to Brighton Beach and prepare for a lovely day in the sun! This beach in Brooklyn is just minutes from Coney Island and a wonderful getaway from hectic Manhattan. While this beach tends to get a bit busy on weekends, it is AMAZING for people watching and not nearly as crowded as Coney Island. Don’t forget to lather up!

Make the Trek to the The Cloisters

Nestled in Fort Tryon Park in Washington Heights lay the Cloisters, a unique museum that is part of the Met, and just an A train away. (From the West 4th Street station, take the A all the way up to 190th St.!) This unique little oasis is home to Medieval European art and feels miles and centuries away from current Manhattan! In the summer, enjoy the lush gardens and the amazing view of the Hudson.

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.