jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ten TV Premieres to Look Forward To This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Afraid you won’t have anything to distract you from getting all your work done this semester? Well look no further than your TV, laptop, tablet, or anything else with a screen where you can binge watch these ten shows with a mission to serve all your procrastination needs! Fall has officially arrived.

1. Transparent: Season 4 – September 22 (Amazon)

For those of you unfamiliar with the series, Transparent tells the story of a Los Angeles family following the discovery that their father, Mort, portrayed by actor Jeffrey Tambor, is transgender. Season 4 will follow the Pfeffermans as they travel to Israel and promises that each member of the Pfefferman family will embark on their own story of self discovery. Episodes of Transparent are available to stream on Amazon Prime Video. 

© DEADLINE

2. This Is Us: Season 2 – September 26 (NBC)

Probably the biggest breakout hit of this past year, This Is Us has the public infatuated. Not only is its audience buying new boxes (yes, boxes) of tissues every Tuesday night, but This Is Us also brings loads of laughs and pushes everyone to appreciate the good in life. Although This Is Us left the Pearson family in a rockier spot than we’re used to at the end of Season 1, there’s still a lot of hope in the future of both this family and the series itself: Jack Pearson (Milo Ventimiglia) uttering in the closing monologue of the season finale: “I promise you, it’s just getting started.” Season 2 is set to pick up right where Season 1 left off (spoiler alert!): the morning after Jack left the house, and promises to deliver a “big, giant piece of the puzzle” to one of the biggest questions of the series: Jack’s death. However, creator Dan Fogelman warns that this piece of the puzzle could possibly raise more questions than answer them. In addition, viewers should expect to see more of Jack’s home life, Rebecca’s relationship with Miguel in the present day, Randall and Beth debating adoption, some musical numbers from Kate trying to launch her singing career, and Kevin’s big break in LA. If you’re not caught up on This Is Us, you can stream it on NBC.com or Hulu.

© Ron Batzdorff/NBC

3. Brooklyn 99: Season 5 – September 26 (FOX)

The Season 4 finale left Brooklyn 99 fans with an interesting cliffhanger: will Jake and Rosa end up in jail? In addition, the finale featured the return of character Adrien Pimento as well as revealed that Gina, like the actress Chelsea Peretti in real life, is pregnant. Will the identity of the baby’s father come into play for some added drama in Season 5? You’ll just have to check it out on Fox! Previous episodes of Brooklyn 99 are also available for streaming on Hulu.

© Vulture

4. Empire: Season 4 – September 27 (FOX)

The Season 3 finale of Empire was, to avoid any spoilers, a shocker, and Season 4 claims to be taking a “new direction.” In addition, Demi Moore’s character, as a result of the shocking events that occurred in the finale, is said to play a more “integral” role in the story this season. Empire airs on Fox at 8pm on Wednesday, September 27. Need to catch up? Empire is also available to stream on Hulu.

© The Hollywood Reporter

5. Will & Grace: The Return/Season 9 – September 28 (NBC)

Will and Grace first premiered in 1998 and has been off the air since 2006. That is, until NBC decided to bring this hilarious foursome back to the TV screen. Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally will all reprise their infamous roles as Will, Grace, Jack and Karen. In addition, James Burrows, director of every previous Will & Grace episode, and writers Max Mutchnick and David Kohan will return to create this revival. Never seen Will & Grace or want to watch it all over again? For the first time, all 194 original episodes of Will & Grace are available for streaming on Hulu and the NBC app.

© Deadline

6. Nathan For You: Season 4 – September 28 (Comedy Central)

It’s been nearly two years since fans last saw Nathan Fielder. Luckily, Nathan For You is back and wackier than ever. If you aren’t familiar with the show, then congratulations: you’ve just stumbled upon a true gem! Writer and comedian Nathan Fielder has a business degree and, in conjunction with his unusual life experiences, seeks to help struggling business owners improve their company and boost their sales. However, the tactics Nathan uses can probably best be described as “unorthodox.” Examples include: convincing people they have a deadly disease after leaving a haunted house in order to truly scare them; poo-flavored frozen yogurt; and Dumb Starbucks (as pictured above). Previous episodes of Nathan For You are available on the Comedy Central website.

© Business Insider

7. Blue Bloods: Season 8 – September 29 (CBS)

After celebrating their 150th episode last season, Blue Bloods Season 7 brought a lot of significant change to the Blue Bloods world in its explosive season finale. With a finale that left us with so much uncertainty for the Reagan family and the New York Police Department, Season 8 promises to answer these questions: revealing the results of the cliffhangers we were left with: both good and bad. Starring Tom Selleck, Donnie Wahlberg, Bridget Moynahan, and Will Estes, Blue Bloods tells the story of a multigenerational family of cops: Frank Reagan (Selleck), the New York Police Commissioner; Danny Reagan (Wahlberg), a seasoned detective and Iraqi war veteran; Erin Reagan (Moynahan), an assistant district attorney; and Jamie Reagan, a law student turned cop. Blue Bloods has always been a show that gives us a morally-challenging look into the world of the NYPD, but also stresses the importance of family, as portrayed by the Reagans and their always intriguing, thought-provoking, and endearing family dinner conversations. Blue Bloods Season 8 will premiere on CBS on Friday, the 29th. Previous seasons are also available to stream on Netflix.

© CBS

8. Black-ish: Season 4 – October 4 (ABC)

Black-ish has always been a very socially-conscious series, producing a lot of bold, relevant, and thought-provoking content, and Season 4 will be no different. The season premiere of Black-ish teases that there will be a musical element to it with a homage to the hit musical Hamilton centered around the Juneteenth celebration: the day when slavery was officially abolished in the U.S. Be sure to tune in at 9pm on ABC for what’s sure to be an intriguing season premiere. Previous episodes of Black-ish are also available to stream on Hulu.

© Vulture  

9. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Season 3 – October 13 (The CW)

The finale of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 2 turned Rebecca’s world, and the world of the series, completely upside-down. Abandoned at the altar by the man she’s been passionately pursuing for two seasons, Rebecca seeks revenge in what promises to be an edgy and dangerous Season 3. Season 3 of this musical dramedy is rumored to be darker than ever before, with, of course, an always amusing and clever group of musical numbers to supplement Rebecca’s journey. Season 3 is set to premiere at 8pm on October 13, which just so happens to be Friday the 13th. Coincidence? You’ll just have to tune in and see. Previous episodes of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are also available on Netflix, but if you don’t have time to watch two full seasons before the premiere, I’d definitely suggest binging some infamous Crazy Ex-Girlfriend musical numbers on YouTube.

© Vulture

10. Stranger Things: Season 2 – October 27 (Netflix)

After making an incredible splash in the world of television in its first season, Stranger Things  returns for a much-anticipated second season. From what has been shared regarding season 2 thus far, viewers can expect the return of Eleven, the aftermath of Will’s return from the upside-down, and of course, some more of this lovable 80s horror world. If you haven’t seen Stranger Things just yet, it’s an easy binge on Netflix (only 8 episodes!), so why not make it your mission this month to get caught up before the premiere?

© The Verge

Peri Segel is from a small town you've probably never heard of in Massachusetts, so she says she's from Boston.  She is currently attending the Maurice Kanbar Institute of Film and Television at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, so she gets to watch a lot of TV and call it studying.  She's a little racially ambiguous so she's definitely no stranger to people asking her "what are you?" Feel free to ask her yourself. She enjoys Christmas music in July; finding new places to get brunch in NYC; and going on long runs to recover from brunch adventures.
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com