Sloomoo Institute
Sloomoo Institute
NY Metro Parents
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Nestled among upscale retail shops and bustling cafes of Broadway, in the main thoroughfare of Soho sits a colorful wonderland where cares melt away for children and adults alike. 

If you are like me, you wonder why there are suddenly hundreds of kids (and adults) flooding your YouTube and Instagram feeds with videos of making, mixing, pulling and tugging slime. Slime, slime, slime – It seems inescapable nowadays. But once you take the gooey dive into trying slime for yourself, you quickly realize why. Slime can be a pain to make on your own, but when done right, it becomes a source of endless entertainment, stress relief, and plain old fun.

Founders Sara Schiller and Karen Robinovitz discovered the power of slime and wanted to find a way to share it with the world. Thus, Sloomoo Institute was born- a slime themed pop-up gracing 475 Broadway with goops and globs of the stuff. Here, people of all ages are encouraged to get messy and knead their worries away in 14 different types of slime. 

Upon entering Sloomoo Institute, you shed your past identity and become your slime alter-ego. How? Just replace all of the vowels of your name with two o’s. I may have entered and exited as Julia, but during the whole experience, I was exclusively Jooloo. This practice comes from the habit of the slime community to base their channel and usernames this way. It also explains the name of the pop-up. Sloomoo translates to slime!

After embracing your new self, you come face to face with a mountain of dripping multicolored slime. This may look like just a photo-op, but it soon becomes much more. After posing and snapping a pic, you are encouraged to slap your pile of slime onto the growing mound to leave your mark on the constantly evolving space. 

Slime wall at Sloomoo Slime Institute
Julia Fields

Throughout the whole experience, vats of different textures of slime sit awaiting your touch. Each has its own consistency- cloud or clay- and their own scent- candy cane or espresso. As you play and feel, you learn which slime fits your personality and daily life best. This becomes increasingly important as you later have the chance to make your own slime by picking the consistency, color, scent, and charms to go inside. 

Sloomoo proves with every turn that slime is not just for touching. You can catapult slime at your friends from behind a glass wall and test their flinching abilities. Live out a Nickelodeon fantasy by having buckets of slime dumped on you from above while clad in head-to-toe protective gear. If you are tired of your hands having all the fun, take off your shoes and stomp across a blue slime pond while the goo squishes between your toes. 

If the physical sounds too sticky or gooey, explore the mental side of slime with tests on how the stress-relieving side effects of slime affect your brainwaves. Or listen to ASMR while slime-ing to double the sensation overload. In this way, Sloomoo aims to appeal to all ages, proving that the mental benefits of slime are perfect for the busy college student or the 9-to-5 professional who wants to relax after work. 

While you enjoy the pop-up, a slime expert sits right behind the entrance, entrancing passersby with the intricate process of making the perfect slime. Slime-makers rotate through this coveted seat as just one of Sloomoo’s changing elements. Sloomoo hosts private events, birthday parties, and field trips as well. 

As you exit through the gift shop, slime like you’ve never seen before fills every shelf. New York-themed slime showcases cannolis of Little Italy and fortune cookies of Chinatown nearby. Bento boxes don slime shaped sushi. Different themed concoctions are on display and constantly changing.

Sushi Slime
Julia Fields

Sloomoo has a mission geared towards sustainability and mental health, with a portion of their proceeds going to mental health organizations and their slime-making process involving mainly biodegradable ingredients. Suddenly, the institute is much bigger than a place to escape the bustle of the city and busy your mind for a while. Of course, it is that as well, but Sloomoo proves to be so much more. 

Despite your age or experience with slime, Sloomoo’s psychedelic playground is magnetic. You can’t help but glance in as you walk by. It is time to experience the healing and exciting magic within and in slime in general. Spend 45 minutes in total or 45 minutes just on your favorite slime. Take your time and feel, feel, feel! Just be sure to check your coat and purse- we don’t want those getting dirty. All of the employees are wearing matching jumpsuits- you can’t miss them!

More information and tickets can be found at https://sloomooinstitute.com/

Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.