Should Your Signature Lipstick be Matte or Glossy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Ever wonder what lipstick to pair with a look?  The answer lies in the texture of your choosing.  Lipsticks have two alter egos: matte and glossy. Matte is the flat, yet daring and devilish counterpart to the angelic glossy style we are used to seeing on the red carpet.  Clearly, both styles can create completely different looks – you can either be a chic Kylie Jenner or an elegant Selena Gomez depending which direction you want to go in. When choosing which look you want to nail, here are a few things to keep in mind about each formula.

Matte

Matte looks can transform super glam into something super trendy. They also act as the perfect lip style for the everyday makeup routine if you choose to go with a nude. The cons of matte? It is easy to apply, relatively mess-free, and can really take an outfit to the next level.  This texture is perfect for me personally because I prefer not to feel like I’m wearing makeup, even when I am wearing a lot. Matte lippies can feel really light and that’s something that is rare to find in the lipstick world.  

The tip to a perfect matte lip is HYDRATION! I can’t stress this point enough. If you already have chapped lips, chances are applying your lipstick will be a real pain.  An insider tip that I have been using from day one, is always moisturize the area before application. I love to use a bit of Vaseline or even a cheap, drugstore brand chapstick to coat the layer beneath where my lipstick will be applied. Not only is hydration on the outside crucial, but so is drinking a good amount of water.  That way, soft, kissable lips are guaranteed!  My personal favorite lipstick for a matte texture would be NARS. Their lip pencils are so easy to carry around in my bag, and make application simple. This brand also offers many different choices when it comes to choosing the perfect color.

NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil, $26

Glossy

If you’re looking to find the ultimate a going-out look, a glossy lip is a must. I mean, have you seen those red carpet looks? It’s instance elegance. The con of glossy lips is thaat they can sometimes get a bit messy because they go on slick, however people won’t resist complimenting you on your entire ensemble.  My favorite go-to glossy lippie is by the brand Bourjois. I carry this brand with me on the days I feel like amping my style up just a tad more. It is found in almost every drugstore in Europe but can be bought online in any country. It applies very smoothly, not leaving your lips too wet, but perfectly creamy.    

Bourjois Rouge Edition Lipstick, $7

Swatch credit: Kaushal Beauty

Everyone can find the perfect lip style for them. Give both textures a try and see which one suits you best. Finding your favorite looks takes lots of trial and error, but as the old saying goes: practice makes perfect.

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein