Style > Fashion

Sequin Spring is Here: How to Use Glitter & Glam to Spice Up Your Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Some of the latest fashion trends this spring season come from what’s happening in the entertainment world. Greta Gerwig’s much anticipated “Barbie” movie gave rise to the Barbiecore trend which is characterized by Barbie’s iconic pink and mini dresses. 

But what about sequin spring? Maybe this trend began popping up when Disney announced their live action “Little Mermaid,” allowing consumers to hop on this underwater fantasy style? Or maybe people wanted to “make the whole place shimmer” when Taylor Swift’s “Midnights” dropped, making listeners “believe [they’re] bejeweled?” 

While its origin is uncertain, the sequin spring trend has definitely made a splash in the fashion world by “ripping up the rulebook [of traditionally having sequins in the winter months] and declaring spring/summer the perfect time for a little glitz and glamour.” If you want to hop on this trend, here are some easy ways to spice up your look with some glitter and glam.

Add glittery makeup to your routine

If you’re not a sequin person but want to spice up your look, this is the best way to do so. You can use holographic glitter around/underneath the eyes or cheeks. Using a nice shimmery makeup palette to bring attention to your makeup is a more subtle way to use glitter. A good medium between a simplistic yet bold makeup statement is using decals like the one from the makeup artist of “Euphoria” released after its audience became obsessed with Jules’ style

Sequin clothes with simple accessories

A bright sequin top paired with jeans is a simple yet effective look I think everyone should try once in their life. Having a sequin dress paired with a one-color leather jacket also brings attention to the sparkles while not being overkill. So long as one clothing piece has sparkles and is worn with a non-print piece, this look will always stay a classic. 

Earrings and necklaces and rings, oh my!

If using a lot of sequins is not your style, then I suggest using minimalistic details like glittery accessories to make your outfit pop. A shimmery choker can sometimes offer a vintage look while keeping it chic and stylish. Or if you want to be inspired by Harper Finkle and wear larger jewelry, there are Pinterest Boards that can help you get your loud sequin on. 

Metallic shoes

Wearing metallic shoes is probably one of the easiest ways to hop on this sequin trend without being overly glitterized. Sneakers are a comfortable and effective way to glam up your daily fit while being realistic about walking the streets of New York. Or if you want to spice up the night and let your inner sparkle reflect your exterior, boots may be the shoe for you! So long as you feel comfortable and pretty, there is no wrong way to go!

Sequined jackets

You’ve probably seen at least one celebrity strutting with their sequined jacket like JoJo Siwa, Taylor Swift and Rihanna.  This option offers such a strong contrast especially when paired with sleek black pants or even jeans. You can even add the matching pants to give it a pantsuit power look (maybe winged eyeliner if you’re feeling daring.)  

Hopefully these ideas inspire you to either jump on sequin spring or do a bit more research on how it’s breaking traditional fashion trends! Whatever you choose, just remember to have fun while unleashing your inner sparkle! 

Sabrina Blandon is an English major at NYU with a minor in creative writing. Avid reader herself and literary advocate, she has interviewed over 60 authors from New York Times bestselling ones to debut authors for Her Author Spotlight blog series for Her Campus NYU and Her Campus Hofstra. She loves exploring everything New York City has to offer and is a major foodie.