Secret Menu: NYU Dining Hall Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s November and by now you’re probably getting tired of the dining hall scene. Eating out is great, but soon enough your bank account might be weeping. So why waste those meal swipes on the same boring burger or slice of pizza when you can use them to unlock the secret menu sitting right in front of you? That’s right, the secret menu. With a little creativity you can easily transform the mundane dining hall ingredients into your own delicious masterpiece.

1. Blueberry Waffles

This is definitely the easiest of the hacks. Just grab some blueberries from Downstein’s salad bar, pop them into the waffle maker with your batter, and voilà, a beautiful delicious blueberry waffle. If you have a sweet tooth and the froyo machine happens to be working, top your waffle off with a little vanilla for a #foodporn worthy finish.

2. Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich

We can’t quite say how this would weigh against a bodega’s bacon, egg, and cheese, but if you need an on-the-go option, this one’s for you. First you’ll have to toast a bagel of choice. Then head over to the grill and ask for an omelette and put that on top of one half of your bagel. Lastly, grab a few slices of bacon, place it on the eggs, put the other half of the bagel on top, and you’re done.

3. Milkshake

This last “secret menu” item is great for when you’re craving a milkshake, but don’t feel like taking the walk to Palladium. Just drop a couple of scoops of ice cream into a cup, add some milk, and stir until you get a milkshake like consistency. Getting the right ratio for this might take a few tries, but it’s fun to experiment with the different flavors NYU has to offer.

Bonus Recipe: Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, and sriracha to create your own Thai-style sauce.

Keep thinking about new ways to shake up old favorites, and you’ll be on your way to creating your own secret menu. Happy eating!

Images: 1/2/3

Chelsea is social media inspired senior at NYU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Entertainment Business. In her free time she enjoys saving the environment one thrifting trip at a time, having impromptu photoshoots with friends around the city, and creating content for her blog, Bloomsista.com.
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com