Reverse Culture Shock: Home Away From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

There’s a bit of home in home; but being gone for so long, being home no longer felt like it could be the only home. I had this feeling once before when I moved to New York City for college, and that first Winter Break was a strange time as I try to readjust being back in California. But this time, I had been out of the country. On another continent. Speaking a different language. Readjusting was not going to be the easiest thing to do.

I was finally getting used to being in South America, and then I had to leave. I wasn’t worried as much about getting used to being back in the States, because I was excited to see my family and friends. What I didn’t think about was the fact that I had been gone and life doesn’t stop once you leave. I know, shocker. I thought it would be easier to adjust to California, than it had been to Argentina. I, at least, knew California.

Maybe I lucked out, since my family only spoke Spanish in California. Or maybe it was the fact that all I had been missing (spicy food, slang I knew, and a bit more of stability in my life) was back. But then that feeling hit. I didn’t feel completely at home. There were jokes and food I could’t share with my family and friends. I was unable to express how happy I had been in South America. I was this outsider. I had been off the radar for a long time (a couple of months but apparently with social media, it is a long time!). I had to reintroduce myself to many people I had previously known. I was different. They were different. But maybe this was just in California. I mean, hey, they only get to see me once in a while, so of course I am changing nonstop to them. New York City would be different, I thought.

New York City was not different. I had been gone for even longer from this wonderful city, and some people even thought I had dropped out (I know! Cray cray!). So as I began my transition back into this English-Speaking country, I began to see the city with those same fresh pair of eyes I had when I first arrived. Everything became an adventure, even taking the N train to Target in Brooklyn! I began immediately to plan what I was going to visit and my camera was ready to go. And then school started.

In Argentina, classes were spread out and even though I had an internship and a job, I still had time to hang out with friends and sightsee. But New York City was another ball game. I was scoring goals instead of touchdowns. Acting took over super quickly, and then came the internship, and then came the job. Then free time went out the window. But thankfully I made friends in Argentina, who also came back to the US.

These friends have been the best support as I get used to being back, along with my sorority sisters. They understand that once in a while I need to speak Spanish or be reminded of Argentine food and slang. They are the ones I call when I need to share an inside joke about being abroad. They are the ones who remind me of home. Because that’s what Argentina became in the end to me, a home away from home. And I get homesick once in a while.

But I am glad to be back, no doubt about that! Time for some spicy food!

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.