IMG 2956JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 2956JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

A Reminder To Be Thankful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

November is the month of gratitude. The festive season can light up the darkest of days. This festive season, let’s focus on the people and the things we are grateful for in our lives- we have a lot to be thankful for this year. 

2020 has been full of surprises. This year brought wildfires, an unprecedented pandemic, a shattered economy, and a prolonged presidential election, amongst many eventful events. Despite the tragedies of 2020, the festive season is about being thankful, gracious, and with our loved ones. The year has been challenging, as many were affected. Some suffered from COVID-19, while some lost their loved ones. People are facing financial uncertainties about the events that rolled into the year.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that this dark period WILL end. It might seem like we are far from this now, but our lives can return to normal if we remain responsible. This year, focus on the ones who made this year a little better. Thank those who helped you survive quarantine and make the time seem less dark. 

• Your Family and Friends

This year has disconnected us from friends and family like never before. Yet all the Zoom calls with friends and family have united us in a way like never before. Zoom game nights with friends or movie nights with family have undoubtedly made this year so much better. Be thankful for the people who have been on your side and checked in on you. This Thanksgiving and festive season, if you cannot meet them in person, recreate the festive spirit on Zoom through a virtual dinner. Having some good company always translates to a good time, even if it’s virtual!

• Frontline workers

Frontline workers work each day to ensure we can combat these difficult times, even by risking their own lives. They give strength to so many lives, and their selfless service to the community helps us get through these dark times. So, this year, being thankful to frontline workers is more important than ever. Healthcare workers, social workers, grocery store workers, emergency workers, delivery services- you deserve our applause, our thanks, and all our gratitude. 

• Teachers 

Teachers have tried their best to engage students and adapt to this new method of teaching. From learning new software and technologies to accommodating all their students’ different circumstances, teachers deserve to have recognition for the extra hours, support, and effort they have put into adapting to the new normal. Send an email, a card, or box of chocolates to the teachers, professors, TA’s who have made an extra effort to create a unique virtual learning space for you.

Uplifting messages can go a long way to let someone know that you care. This Thanksgiving, be grateful for the little joys in life and for those that bring those little joys. Remember to be thankful for all such big and small celebrations.

Manika is a sophomore majoring in Media, Culture and Communication and minoring in the Business of Media at NYU. While her heart lies in the sand dunes of Dubai, she couldn’t be any happier to live in the city that never sleeps, New York City. Manika has the biggest sweet tooth that always welcomes desserts so if she’s not found chasing pretty pink sunset skies, she can be found digging into desserts! When she isn’t found doing either of these, she’s definitely snuggled up in bed rewatching Friends for the millionth time! Reach out to her on instagram for comments, suggestions or simply say hi @manikaa.p
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.