This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

After a remarkably mild New York City winter, spring has finally started to arrive — Washington Square Park is abuzz with pedestrians, Canada Goose parkas are being replaced with denim jackets, and rooftop hangout season has officially commenced. To celebrate the end of sweater weather, our palates are changing as much as our wardrobes. It’s time to retire your go-to soup recipes and piping hot lattes in favor of these fresh March meal ideas.

Snap Pea Salad with Burratta 

Packed with seasonal veggies and herbs, this salad from Bon Appetit comes together in minutes and is the perfect way to celebrate the arrival of warmer weather. Peppery arugula enhances the flavor of sweet sugar snap peas, and creamy burrata adds an indulgent element. Serve with lemon ice water to complement the citrus-infused dressing.

Ingredients:

8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed, strings removed

4 cups arugula, thick stems trimmed

¼ cup fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish

¼ cup fresh mint leaves, plus extra for garnish

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Flaky sea salt

1 pound of burrata or buffalo mozzarella

Steps:

1. Cut pea pods in half lengthwise, leaving some peas on each side of pods. 

2. Combine peas, arugula, 1/4 cup basil, and 1/4 cup mint in a large bowl. 

3. Add oil and 2 tablespoons lemon juice and toss to coat. 

4. Season salad with salt and more lemon juice, if desired.

5. Tear open balls of burrata (if using buffalo mozzarella, slice 1/2-inch thick) and arrange on a platter.

6. Top with salad and more basil and mint.

Strawberry Rhubarb Galettes

Pucker-inducing rhubarb is a natural pairing for syrupy sweet strawberries in this simple dessert from Country Living. While the original recipe calls for homemade dough, save some time and energy with pre-packaged puff pastry instead. 

Ingredients:

1 package pre-made puff pastry (I recommend Pillsbury Crescent Dough Sheet)

1 1/2 tablespoons of flour

Pinch of salt

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced 

1/2 cup fresh or frozen rhubarb, sliced 

1 egg, beaten

1/2 tablespoon demerara sugar

3/4 tablespoons strawberry jelly, melted 

Makes five mini galettes.

1. Defrost puff pastry in fridge

2. Cut 5 roughly 5-inch rounds of puff pastry dough. Roll out scraps once, if necessary.  

3. Whisk together granulated sugar, lemon zest, flour, and salt in a bowl. 

4. Add strawberries and rhubarb; toss to coat. 

5. Spoon filling into center of dough rounds (about 1/4 cup each), leaving a 3/4-inch border.

6. Brush edges of dough with egg. 

7. Fold dough onto filling, overlapping it as you go. 

8. Lightly brush dough with egg; sprinkle with demerara sugar, dividing evenly. 

9. Freeze 30 minutes. 

10. In a meantime, preheat oven to 425°F with oven rack in lowest position.

11. Bake until golden brown and filling is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. 

12. Brush fruit with jelly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Grapefruit Elderflower Soda

I discovered this magical combination during a family vacation in Canada, and lucky for us, grapefruits are in season this March. This refreshing drink is the ideal accompaniment to any al fresco dining situation this spring, and for our readers of age, is even better with a shot of gin, tequila or vodka. 

Ingredients:

1 ounce elderflower syrup 

½ grapefruit

4 ounces club soda

1 1/2 ounces spirit of choice (optional, but I recommend Milagro tequila)

Ice cubes

Thin slice of grapefruit for garnish

Makes one drink.

1. Juice half of the grapefruit and add to a shaker filled with ice, elderflower syrup and optional spirit.

2. Shake well.

3. Add to glass and top with club soda. Stir.

4. Garnish with grapefruit slice.

5. Enjoy!

Lauren is a sophomore studying Journalism and Psychology at NYU. A Boston native, she loves ice cream in the winter and the word 'wicked.' Lauren is a Brie cheese enthusiast and her hobbies include petting every dog she sees, rereading Gillian Flynn novels and watching cooking shows (specifically "Chopped" and "British Bake Off"). You can find her at The Bean while she pretends to study.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.