Nolaskinsentials
Nolaskinsentials
Original photo by Zion Epperson
Style > Beauty

Nolaskinsentials: Black-Owned, Vegan Skincare You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

If you’re a skincare geek like me, these past months in Covid-social isolation have been all about purchasing new products online. I came across the brand Nolaskinsentials after one of my favorite skincare brands, Filthy Cosmetics, stopped production permanently. Filthy Cosmetics was a Black-owned, vegan, organic skincare brand that I had been using since my sophomore year in college. I was in desperate need of a replacement brand that had similar values and high-quality, natural products. I stumbled upon Nola’s instagram on a dreary day in quarantine and was instantly hooked. From their bright feed to their emphasis on “real skin,” unedited model shots, it seemed like the perfect brand for me to try. 

I loved how the website was organized right off the bat. Similar to their Instagram page, the website featured tons of colorful product shots and models of all different skin tones and types. A pop-up to take a “skin quiz” appeared right away and after minutes, I already had recommendations for products that would work best for me. I kept these recs in mind and explored the site. You can shop by product (cleansers, toners+mists, masks, etc.) but there’s also an option to “shop by concern,” where products are organized by what skin type/skin problems you experience. I have combination, acne-prone skin so I searched for products that targeted both of these concerns. 

The products are priced a bit above drugstore prices, but significantly less than luxury products. All of their serums, mists, cleansers, and toners range from  $17 to $25. Most products are around $24, with a couple that are a few bucks more or less. Considering the size of the products, their sustainable packaging (all-recyclable), and the fact that everything is hand-crafted in small batches, I’d say that their prices are more than reasonable. I didn’t want to commit to a full-size product the first time around, so I bought a ton of “try-me” sized cleansers and toners. These smaller sizes are anywhere from a quarter to half the size of the full-sized product, and are normally priced between $7 and $12. This option to buy smaller sizes is really nice for customers who want to try out a range of different products without taking the risk of potentially wasting product and money. 

As I checked out, the website prompted me to put in my information and join their #nolababe rewards program. I’m normally hesitant to join rewards programs, but I figured it couldn’t hurt and I could unsubscribe later down the line if I didn’t like it. Since that first purchase, I’ve been able to earn “Nola Points” by doing things like placing other orders or liking their Facebook page. These points convert into rewards like free samples of products or coupons for your next purchase. By the time I placed my second order, I had racked up enough points to get a good percentage off of the overall price of my haul! 

I plan on reviewing some of their products in a later article, but if you’re curious about my holy grails, I am in love with their Clarifying Cleansing foam, Omega Kale Cleanser, Green Tea mask, and their Pumpkin Enzyme mask (fall-vibe check). If you’re looking for a new skincare brand to test out, and want to support a Black-owned, vegan, sustainability-focused business while you’re at it, I highly recommend trying Nolaskinsentials. I’ve linked their instagram and website below so you can check them out!

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nolaskinsentials/ 

Website: https://www.nolaskinsentials.com/ 

Hi! My name is Zion Epperson and I'm a senior at New York University studying Applied Psychology, but I'm interested in pursuing a career in Marketing or PR. I'm passionate about all things beauty and wellness and have an Instagram account dedicated to my skincare obsession (https://www.instagram.com/z.kincare/). If you have any questions about my writing or me in general please reach out (ze269@nyu.edu)!
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.