New Year? New Dress: The Best New Year’s Eve Party Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Every time New Years Eve comes around, I dread getting ready. As girls around the world prep for an evening that is supposed to be the most glamorous of the year, the fuss tends to overwhelm me. Maybe it’s because I’m lazy when it comes to getting ready, or maybe it’s because some holiday parties – such as NYE – up the pressure to have a picture-perfect smoky eye and the right pair of black patented stilettos that you won’t be stumbling home in. As a result, I tend to focus too much on finding an outfit that is comfortable enough for a 5-hour-long party (blech), and finding a lipstick that won’t smudge during that (hopefully received) midnight kiss, that my time getting ready actually exceeds that of the time spent at the party itself. 

This year, I’m preemptively planning so that I won’t be strewing my clothes in merciless piles on my closet floor as if I was Marie Antoinette on the day of the March on Versailles. “Let them eat cake,” I say, “in a damn cute dress.”

See my favorite NYE dresses below that won’t break your bank account.

Bombshell Sequin Dress (bottom center) -$28 and ASOS Jacquard Cap Sleeve Smock Dress (top right) –$63
If a New Years Eve style guide existed, wearing anything sparkle-adorned would be rule #1. Whether you’re more of a gold gal or a mauve maven, these dresses are sure to turn heads.

Light Flicker Dress (top center) -$68
Opt out of the “black-out” party attire this year (yes, I do mean what you think I mean) and go black tie with this curve-flattering dress. The slight plunge neck is totally sexy, and the ruffled sleeves are totally sweet. Innocent and alluring? Yes, please.

Oh my Love Lace V-Neck Cami Dress (bottom right) – $69
Slip on this loose little floral number to stand out from the crowd. With the lace trim and black tights, it’s a graceful touch to what is probably going to be a class-less celebration.

ASOS Jacquard Shift Dress (bottom left)-$54
Nothing says looking forward to the new year better than a dress with a futuristic pattern and silver polish

Tie-Dye Studded Mini Dress (top left) – $63
Embrace a velvet fabric while it’s still winter – but in this dress, you won’t be sweating up a storm while you dance the night away.

Brocade Bodycon Dress (bottom left)- $79 and Golden Hour Sequin Dress (bottom right) -$88
Walking to a party and the weather outside is frightful? These long sleeved dresses got you covered – literally – and the tight fit and metallic washes are perfect for the occasion.

Polka Dot Mesh Dress (bottom center) – $79 and Flare Skater Dress in Spot Jacquard (top left) – $44 (under $75 bonus!)
Little black dress alert! If sparkles don’t catch your eye try these traditional pieces.

TFNC Baby Doll Skater Dress (top right)- $81
Or hey, go unconventional and try a little blue dress

Metallic Smock Dress (top center) -$99
Astronaut or tin man? Or totally chic? I vote chic – be bold with your fabrics for the brightest night of the year.

Free People Black Cherry Mini Dress (bottom left) –$88
Again, another velveteen number that’s a foolproof to close out December and holiday cheer.

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein 
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.