The New Wave of Female Celebrity Autobiographies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The idea of a celebrity writing an autobiography is nothing new. Celebrities of all calibers have been banking off the publication of their life stories, funny anecdotes, or attempts at fictional novels. Recently, there has been a surge in female celebrities releasing books that delve a little bit deeper into what it means to be a woman in Hollywood and all the hardships and heartbreak behind their names.

It has been a busy year for Busy Phillips, whose book This Will Only Hurt a Little was released on October 16. The actress recently landed a spot on late night television with her new talk show, “Busy Tonight,” that premiered only weeks later. Midst the “Me Too” movement, Phillips has recently come out with allegations against her Freaks and Geeks co-star, James Franco. Her long history in Hollywood allows for the extensive raw commentary of her experiences in her book. As seen throughout her career, as well as in her social media, Phillips does not back down from the truth or her own opinions. Through the use of humor and funny anecdotes, Phillips demonstrates the strength of the female community in Hollywood on and off the screen, giving the readers an inside look into her life as a star, a mother, friend, and woman.

The acceptance of comedians discussing more serious themes has become more widely accepted in a time where public figures have no choice but to comment on what goes on around them. Comedian Phoebe Robinson tackles political and cultural themes through quick wit and relatable humor in her second book, Everything’s Trash, But It’s Okay, which was also released in October.

Following her first book, You Can’t Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain, Robinson uses humor to make serious topics easier to tackle and absorb. She offers a unique perspective and voice as a woman of color in comedy, never shying away from raising her voice.

Lastly is actress, comedian, director, illustrator (the list goes on) Abbi Jacobson, whose book, I Might Regret This: Essays, Drawings and Vulnerabilities, was also released this past October. Jacobson’s narrative evolved from a road trip she decided to take after going through a traumatic breakup. The book is eclectic, emotional and unique as she talks openly about dating women, opening the discussion of what it means to be a queer woman in Hollywood. The work seems personal and relatable as the reader melts into Jacobson’s heartfelt sentiments, yet relaxed with bouts of comedy here and there. Showing her artistic skills, Jacobson reveals a deeper, never-before seen version of herself.

The support of these new additions to the likes of Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and Mindy Kaling and their comedic and relatable masterpieces is pivotal. The words of these women become much more personal and accessible when seen in a book rather than in a thirty minute show slot or an hour long comedy set. Learning more about the struggles and triumphs of women in Hollywood can work to inspire young people to pursue similar achievements, as they grow and laugh along with these women on their unique journeys. Despite the overabundance of celebrity-written books, there can never be enough clever yet sentimental narratives written by women whose experiences all differ yet unite each other in a common goal.

Image Sources: 1/ 2/ 3

Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.