matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

New Jersey Judge Who Asked Woman If She Crossed Legs to Prevent Sexual Assault Is Accused

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

“Close your legs? Call the police? Did you do any of those things” 

Superior Court Judge John F. Russo Jr., who asked a woman if she kept her legs closed to prevent sexual assault, is accused of violating rules of conduct. 

According to a complaint filed this Monday, Russo made the statement during a 2016 hearing. The woman, who was seeking a restraining order against a man who allegedly coerced to have sex, described her encounter to Russo who asked her, “Do you know how to stop somebody from having intercourse with you?”. 

When the woman answered that one method would be to run away, Russo then said, “Close your legs? Call the police? Did you do any of those things?” 

The complaint, filed by the state Supreme Court’s Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct, alleged that Russo “mistreated the victim”. The judge is also accused of three additional violations alleging breaches of the code– including an instance when he attempted to exert his judicial office to influence a personal legal matter. 

Russo refused to undergo a mental-health examination

According to reports from App, Russo has been placed on paid administrative leave since last April, after he refused to undergo a mental-health examination ordered by Ocean County Assignment Judge Marlene Lynch Ford. In a court filing, Ford revealed that Russo allegedly threw a file at his law clerk and even threatened to mace an attorney (later apologizing for his actions). 

Ford also said that Russo displayed signs of “extreme emotional immaturity”, “including the display of a ‘poop emoji’ in his chambers.” In a sealed court filing obtained by the App, it was outlined that the New Jersey judge exhibited, “physical aggression, racism, sexism and bizarre behavior.” 

Russo’s attorney said on Wednesday that he has 20 days to respond to the complaint. 

“Judge Russo looks forward to a public hearing in which he will be able to respond to the allegations against him,” attorney David Corrigan said. “We have respect for the process as well as the advisory committee on judicial conduct, and therefore won’t comment further.”

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com