This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

This month, I want to share one of my all-time favorite artists: Vérité. Her orchestral style of indie pop is unlike anything I’ve heard before. One of my favorite things about her music is the storytelling embedded in each one of her songs and their lyrics. Her songs are often heavy on synths and strings, creating an effect that makes you feel like you’re in a movie when you’re walking down the street and listening to one of her albums. Further, her vocals are cinematic and lush, and she has the ability to evoke any emotion with her stylistic choices. She is also notable for her covers of songs by other popular indie artists; her revamp of “Somebody Else” by the 1975 is her top song on Spotify, speeding up the song’s tempo and giving it an extra burst of energy and power. Her most recent album, “new skin,” is incredible, but I’m especially fond of her older work, particularly her first EP. Check out a few of my favorite songs by her, she’s an artist to keep an eye on!

people with their hands raised during a concert
Pexels

“Weekend”

“Weekend” was my favorite song for about three years, and it continues to be one of my absolute favorites. The percussion makes you feel a sense of urgency, like you’re running toward something exciting. The lyrics about “falling in love for the weekend” are dramatic, honest, and overall beautiful, detailing a high-stakes night out where it feels like absolutely anything could happen. It feels like there are a million emotions packed into this one song, and the end product is one of my favorite songs of all time.

“John My Beloved”

This is a cover of a song by Sufjan Stevens, and Vérité adds strings, texture, and a number of effects that help paint a nuanced, cinematic picture. Her vocals in this song are especially stunning as she sings lyrics like “I love you more than the world can contain in its lonely and ramshackle head.” This version of the song could not be more different from the original, but her take on it is a creative triumph (and the perfect song for driving at night).

“Underdressed”

This song is a biting, laidback take on a failing relationship and one of the most exciting representations of frustration I’ve ever seen in a song. When the chorus kicks in and the instrumentals drop out a little, the effect is both tense and incredibly free-flowing. This also has one of the catchiest melodies I’ve heard from Vérité, and like her other songs, the imagery it creates for the listener is unparalleled.

though she be but blonde, she is smart! tisch drama '21/big fan of the color pink
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.