Movies to Watch This Month: October Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The best part of the new fall season is not, contrary to popular belief, pumpkin spice lattes, the leaves changing color, or Halloween, but new movie releases! That’s right. Many of the films that were produced over the spring and summer months make their debut in the fall. So, when the weather starts to get colder, and your friends don’t want to freeze while trying to relax in Washington Square Park, you’ll have a ton of movies to choose from. To make your movie-going experience even easier, here is a list of motion pictures premiering in October that you won’t want to miss.

1. The Mountain Between Us

If you’re looking for a thriller, this movie will keep your heart pounding and your pulse racing all the way until the end. Based on a novel of the same name written by Charles Martin, The Mountain Between Us is about two strangers, Dr. Ben Bass and Alex Martin, who take a charter plane during a winter storm. The plane crashes leaving the two stranded in the middle of the High Uintas wilderness, forced to rely on each other to survive. Starring Idris Elba and Kate Winslet, you’ll be on the edge of your seat, rooting for these two characters to survive.

Premiere Date: October 6th, 2017

2. Blade Runner 2049

If you loved the 1980’s classic science fiction film Blade Runner, or just love science-fiction in general, this movie is one to see! Starring Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford, Blade Runner 2049 is about a young blade runner’s discovery of a long buried secret, which leads him to seek out former blade runner Rick Deckard who has been missing for thirty years. With much of the cast reprising their roles from the original film, this sequel will be sure to lead you on a wild ride through futuristic Los Angeles as it pays tribute to the first film.

Premiere Date: October 6th, 2017

3. Professor Marston and the Wonder Women

If you enjoyed Wonder Woman, the DC Entertainment blockbuster, but find yourself wondering where the iconic character came from, you’ll be sure to enjoy Professor Marston and the Wonder Women. The movie centers around the life of psychologist William Moulton Marston and his two muses for the character: his wife and his mistress. It shows how Moulton created the famous heroine in 1941 using his feminist ideals, and explores the controversy that followed.

Premiere Date: October 13, 2017

4. Goodbye Christopher Robin

Any Winnie The Pooh fans out there? If so, this movie is perfect for you. Goodbye Christopher Robin is a behind-the-scenes look at the life of A.A. Milne, author of the Winnie The Pooh books, and explores his relationship with his son C.R. Milne, who the books are inspired by. Starring Margot Robbie, Domhnall Gleeson, and Kelly MacDonald, this movie is sure to warm your heart as you see how the world’s most popular children’s books were created, and learn about the life of the boy who inspired them.

Premiere Date: October 13th 2017

5. Breathe

If you need a film for an October movie date, this is the one to go to. Breathe tells the true story of Robin and Diana Cavendish. Robin, after being diagnosed with polio and given only three months to live, becomes a pioneer and an advocate for the disabled, and travels the world with his wife to try to help others like him. Starring Andrew Garfield and Claire Foy, if you’re looking to be inspired while watching an epic love story, you’ll definitely enjoy this movie.

Premiere Date: October 13, 2017

6. Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween

Anyone who’s a fan of the Madea films, look no further! Boo 2: A Madea Halloween is the tenth film in the Madea series, but it can be seen as a standalone film, so don’t worry if you haven’t caught up yet. The film stars Tyler Perry as Madea Simmons, who, along with Bam and Hattie, venture to a haunted campground. They have to run for their lives and try to survive when monsters, goblins, and the boogeymen chase them. If you’re looking for a horror-comedy to get pumped for Halloween, this is the movie to see.

Premiere Date: October 20, 2017

7. The Snowman

Looking for a pre-Halloween film to get your scare on? The Snowman will be sure to impress. Based on the New York Times bestselling book of the same name by Jo Nesbo, this film stars Michael Fassbender as Harry Hole, lead detective for an elite crime squad. He is desperately trying to solve the murder and disappearance of a woman on the first snowfall of winter, and fears the elusive serial killer, “The Snowman” is active again. On a race against time, the detective, with the help of a recruit (Rebecca Ferguson), must connect cold cases to the new ones in order to find the killer before he strikes again.

Premiere Date: October 20th, 2017

We hope this guide inspires you to take a Sunday afternoon break from studying to enjoy some amazing new movies!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

Sangita is a senior at New York University and an HCNYU Campus Correspondent. She is absolutely obsessed with TV shows and movies and is also a comedy lover and avid comic book reader and collector (her current comic-book crush is Jessica Jones). Most of all, Sangita is a fangirl who is passionate about representation in all forms of media. In her spare time, Sangita likes to explore New York City, binge-watch political satire, and write sketch comedy.
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com