Meet Brianni Taylor, Whose Art Exhibits Are Taking NYC by Storm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

If there’s one pervading belief about what living in New York City is like, it’s that you can do and be anything you want. For Brianni Taylor, this belief is a reality. She’s taken things that she loves and has found a way to share them with others on a professional scale. Her Campus NYU previously featured a story on her VIEWS art exhibit, which was inspired by the rap artist, Drake. At 24 years old, Brianni Taylor is a name to keep in mind. This NYC event coordinator is taking on small scale and large scale events and leaving her mark on them all.

HC NYU: How did you first enter the world of art? Any advice to people pursuing careers in a similar field?

BT: I’ve always liked pop art! I’m not a real art geek, but seeing art that I can identify with excites me. For a while I wanted to curate an exhibit, but I just wasn’t sure what I wanted my theme to be. Once I heard Kanye West’s “The Life Of Pablo,” I instantly knew what I wanted to do. I didn’t have a second doubt.

The only advice I have for someone who wants to curate exhibits is to remain original and stick to their gut feelings. When curating events that gain some traction, people will tell you what they think and what you should do, but you should follow your heart. The only reason I think things work out for me is because I am genuinely passionate about every event I curate. When someone is feeding you ideas of what they think you should do…it’s not as authentic, in my opinion.

HC NYU: How do you choose which artists are worth showcasing? Is it about influence/message/personal opinions toward the artist?

BT: I pick the artists according to who has great work. Every single artist for the VIEWS Exhibit had great artwork and/or amazing Drake fan art. I chose Drake [for this latest exhibit] because he’s one of my favorite artists, similar to Kanye. Also if the artists were a fan of Drake, it was even better because I knew they would create greatness.

HC NYU: Are you planning to do more exhibits and if so, is a female artist in the future?

BT: Yes I plan on doing more art exhibits, some will be inspired by artists, some will be inspired by things I like: movies, comics, etc. I am doing an art exhibit for two megastars in honor of Women’s history month. [It is featuring] all women artists. I’m really excited about this.

HC NYU: You have now curated exhibits for two of the biggest artists, both of whom have pretty precise reputations. Does that make it easier or harder to create representations of them?

BT: I think when artists have personalities that I can identify with it makes it super easy to create anything around them. They have so much to go off of, you can literally make anything themed after them.

HC NYU: What is your favorite part about putting together an exhibit? Least favorite?

BT: My favorite part of curating art exhibits is seeing it all come together and the reception afterwards. I like searching the hashtag and seeing everyone taking photos and enjoying themselves. That makes me so happy.

My least favorite part is dealing with so many artists. For my first exhibit so many people dropped out the week of or didn’t show up the day of. I was hurt…doing a show where over 1,000 people were going to view your art, why would you not be there? This time around I was unbothered because we had too much art, which I did on purpose!

HC NYU: How difficult is it to translate an auditory art form to a visual and physical experience?

BT: I think in order to make people feel like they’re really experiencing the artist’s music differently, you have to be really creative. I drew a lot of inspiration from my friend who helped me come up with ideas for the interactive rooms.

With Kanye, it was so easy because so many people associate him with art. People wouldn’t think an art exhibit regarding Drake would feel so much like an exhibit, as much as it would feel like a shrine. I understood that; that’s why I wanted to add so many different elements to make people feel like they were in “Marvin’s Room” or make them feel like they were “Champagne Papi”. I think this exhibit was way better because it was so interactive.

HC NYU: Do you have a favorite lyric from the “VIEWS” album?

BT: Yes! From the song “Feel No Ways,” I had to let go of us to show myself what I could do. This lyric hits home when it comes to my past relationships. You have to let go of people to prove to yourself how great you are. Sometimes people are just holding you back. No matter how much you love them, you have to leave them alone for a second and get yourself together.

HC NYU: How does it feel now that the event has come and gone? Any upcoming projects you can clue us in on?

BT: Can I tell you how happy I am that it’s over? I kept praying to God “please let this event come and go and be successful”. I could not sleep for weeks! I worked six days a week at my regular job; I was beat!

My next endeavors are going to be a makeup class called Makeup & Mimosas. The theme of this class is Highlight & Contour, & it will be taught by a friend of mine named Ashley Sophia. The event is sponsored by What’s The Move NYC, Melanie Mills Hollywood, Tokio Lashes, A Halo Smile, Black Radiance, Jacqueline Kalab & The Glow Up By Angie. This is the most sponsors I’ve ever had for any event. Last year, doing this makeup class, we were denied by so many makeup companies so this time I’m [so happy]. For more information you can go to MakeupXMimosas2.eventbrite.com.

In December I’m going to be organizing a “No Boys Allowed” brunch/mixer. It’ll be a safe space for millennial women to meet entrepreneurial women and to gain contacts and build connections. I think it’s going to be so much fun because we’ll be eating, drinking and playing games. There will also be a chance to shop!

Follow Brianni on social media!

Zuleyma is a staff writer for HerCampus and currently a freshman at NYU. She hails from beautiful and sunny Southern California, but is currently having a blast making friends and exploring all the hidden gems of New York CIty. When she's not busy writing, you can find her searching for vinyl on Bleecker St., eating grilled cheeses, or daydreaming about Mario Kart. You can find her on instagram at @zvleyma
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.