Marc Akiyama ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Name: Marc Akiyama
Nickname: Marckie Marc
Hometown: San Diego, California
Major/School: Percussion Performance Major at Steinhardt
Year: 2015

Favorite Movie: “Bringing Up Baby”
Favorite Quote: “Son, I’m Captain Jack Sparrow. Savvy?”
Inspirational people and books: Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri, James Horner, Alan Menken, Mark Knopfler, Howard Hughes, Johnny Depp, Edgar Allen Poe stories, and Clive Cussler novels. 
Fun Fact about yourself: I can do a really convincing Australian accent.
Go-to repeat song on iPod: “My Body” by Young the Giant 

HC NYU: What are your favorite activities and interests?
MA: I enjoy driving in my Mustang and blasting good music, going to drive-in theaters (it’s popular still in California), going to the beach with my dog (she’s the sweetest), surfing, photography, film, going to horse races, finding new restaurants, playing drums and percussion, writing music, and exploring the city.

HC NYU: How would you describe your personality?
MA: I have a very lighthearted personality, but I’m shy when I first meet people. I definitely open up once you get to know me. Then I’m just a goofball.

HC NYU: What is your ideal romantic date in NYC?
MA: The best date is one that you’ve never been on before. Something spontaneous and unpredictable. There are so many things to do here that you shouldn’t be stuck doing the same thing, but dinner and a movie is always safe, or swing dancing.

HC NYU: What are some attractive qualities you look for when dating someone?
MA: A sense of humor, an outrageous laugh, nice smile, and someone with ambition and drive. She has to be goofy and unpredictable just so I can be too. A few common interests, but for the most part I’d say opposites do attract.

HC NYU: If you could go on a romantic vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be?
MA: I would definitely go to Italy. It would be incredible to be immersed in the atmosphere and culture.

HC NYU: What are your future goals and aspirations?
MA: Film has always had a huge impact on my life so I’m definitely going to be involved in film in some way. I want to compose scores for films and direct films eventually. I absolutely love stop motion animation and would love to do films in that style. I also aspire to write Broadway musicals in addition to all of that. Those are my main goals, but I wouldn’t mind being a pirate, astronaut, or pilot either. 

Want more from Kayla? Follow her on Twitter @ksk316

Kayla is an NYU senior majoring in journalism and history. She joined the Her Campus NYU (HCNYU) team in 2013 as a study abroad blogger and is now the site's Love and Relationships Editor. Along with being an editor for HCNYU, Kayla is a web editorial intern for Redbook magazine. She has contributed to and interned in the past with Cosmopolitan, Seventeen, Square Meal, Washington Square News, and Sumo Skinny. When Kayla isn't writing for HCNYU, she is working on her blog or drooling over her wall of Harry Styles pictures. Follow Kayla on Twitter: @ksk316 Read Kayla's blog: http://lovewriteeat.blogspot.com/
We're the Her Campus NYU Contributor Account!