Mansi Prakash: Part-Time NYU Student, Part-Time CEO of a Nonprofit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.
Glamour.com
The DL:
  • Name: Mansi Prakash
  • School: NYU, College of Arts & Science
  • Major: Economics
  • Hometown: Manila, Philippines
  • Something No One Knows About You: I love baking!

1.  You’ve mentioned in several interviews that you started Brighter Today after visiting your grandparent’s village in India. Was that the main source of inspiration behind Brighter Today, or was this already in the works before you visited India? 

During the summer of 2010, I was visiting my grandparents in India. My grandpa was visiting a village, and as a photography enthusiast, I decided to join him. I quickly noticed that most people living in this village had light bulbs but weren’t using them. I decided to do more research regarding the different types of light bulbs and re-visited the village a few times. I was able to execute the project on a small scale, and donated light bulbs to 10 families. I tracked the progress for about a year, and found that the 10 homes had adopted well to the CFL bulb.

In 2012, I came to NYU and was inspired by many individuals, who were involved in different activities and pursuing their passions. They were determined to turn ideas into action. Having grown up in Manila, I was passionate about giving back and helping those who didn’t have the same opportunities as I did. I brainstormed many ideas, and my light bulb project from 2010 stood out the most. Thus, I decided to pursue this project on a larger, global scale.  

2.  How hard/challenging has it been managing and founding Brighter Today whilst pursuing your studies at NYU? 

Balancing school work at NYU and founding Brighter Today initially was tough. Managing Brighter Today while studying has become easier with immense practice and guidance from family and mentors.

Last year, I was a part of the NYU Leadership Fellows program and I was able to learn more about myself and my qualities – one of the main focuses was balancing Brighter Today with being a student at NYU. Through this program, I have learnt how to better balance my time, delegate and get guidance from the right networks.

3. What moment has been the most fulfilling moment in your Brighter Today journey? More kids getting education? 

The most fulfilling moment in the Brighter Today journey was successfully lighting up our first entire village. Behlana Village as of August 2014 is a 100% CFL village: all families and homes now have access to eco-friendly, affordable lighting. This means a redistribution of income (they are facing a huge savings from their electricity bill cuts), children have more time to study, and women can work from home.

4.  What response have you gotten from NYU students or other adults about your foundation? How have people helped? 

NYU students and the general community have been very supportive of the project. They have helped develop it, as well as provided guidance, resources and networks. One of the most crucial networks is The Resolution Project—when I first started Brighter Today in March 2014, I was awarded the Resolution Fellowship at the CGI U conference. This has been vital in the development of Brighter Today. I have a mentor who has supported me for the last year and a half, and the fellowship itself has provided us with resources for global expansion.

5. What are your future plans, in terms of your life after-college and Brighter Today

I have a job with a consulting firm lined up. I hope to balance my work life with Brighter Today – with the right teams and resources, I believe we can scale the project and make a global impact. Currently, we are planning to expand the CFL bulb project to the Philippines as well as Ghana. Furthermore, to combat areas that do not have access to electricity, we are currently developing a home-solution device that will be powered by a plastic bottle and solar panel. We hope to continue working on both projects, and aim to enact change in the lives of those who weren’t afforded the same opportunities. 

6. What advice would you give to students interested in starting non-profits like you? 

If you’re passionate about something or have ideas, there are people out there who will support you and guide you through the whole process. It may seem daunting at first and it does require a lot of work, but it is possible. You’ll never know what you’ll achieve or what is out there until you try. 

Mansi and Bill Clinton

Dakshayani Shankar is currently a sophomore at NYU, pursuing majors in Journalism and French as well as a minor in German. When not analyzing novels on French princes, she can be found perusing through the Met, looking for the best dessert bars in NYC, watching Disney cartoons or playing the violin. Besides Her Campus NYU, you can find her work featured on her blog, WSN's The Higlighter, Her Culture and The Culture Trip. WordPress :https://dakshayanishankar.wordpress.com/ WSN's The Highlighter :http://wsnhighlighter.com/columns/rendez-vous-with-art/ Her Culture :http://www.herculture.org/theblog/?author=5569c62be4b09b4e298cfaea#.VW0cClWqqko
Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein