The Little Mermaid Swims Into The Paper Mill Playhouse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Everything’s better under the sea.

Disney’s The Little Mermaid sets sail at New Jersey’s Paper Mill Playhouse.

The revamped show features all of your favorite Disney showtunes from the movie plus a slew of all-new songs.

The famous “fish-out-of-water” tale of Ariel, a young mermaid longing for human legs and the ability to join the world above got a make-over for the stage.  The red-headed princess still gains legs in trade for her voice to the evil sea witch Ursula, but the stage adaptation accounts for a back-story for Ursula that the cartoon film never explores.  The Paper Mill production also adds in a singing contest hosted by Prince Eric to find the girl with the enchanting voice that he heard when he was rescued from drowning; as opposed to the arrival of Ursula in human form with Ariel’s voice.

Another change for the stage comes courtesy of the set design.

The actors literally “fly” across the stage to appear as though they are physically “swimming” under water.  Ariel’s big number, “Part of That World,” sees the mermaid “floating” in the sea during the entire song.

The gorgeous costumes and the stage sets automatically transport you to the magical kingdoms both above and below the sea.  The mermaids appear to truly have fins. The Prince’s castle is exquisite along with the costuming of the members of his court.

The musical brings all of the magic from the Disney classic, and along with new plot twists and turns and physical staging allows for a delightful production that is not to be missed.

The Little Mermaid runs until June 30.  Tickets are available here.  You can view the Paper Mill’s line-up for next season here.

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.