zodiac signs cancer pisces gemini?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
zodiac signs cancer pisces gemini?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Her Campus Media

How to Recover from Mercury Retrograde Based on Your Star Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

This last Mercury Retrograde (September 27-October 17) was an especially challenging one. For a lot of us, it’s been our first fully in-person semester since 2020, which brings enough challenges of its own without Mercury deciding to travel backwards across the sky.

The period when Mercury is in retrograde tends to be full of confusion, but it is also a good time to reflect on the past and embrace whatever comes as a result. Since Mercury rules communication, it’s always best to express yourself and trust your intuition.

This retrograde (Rx) landed in Libra. Libra is a relationship-oriented sign, so don’t be surprised if you had the reappearance of an old romance or reconnected with an old friend. Since relationships rely on balance and structure, this may have been an uneasy time for your current romantic relationships and close friendships.

Unfortunately, retrograde doesn’t always tend to go our way. Now, a month since the last retrograde, is a great time to recover.

Here are some ways to best recover from this last Mercury Rx, based on your Zodiac sign

(Don’t forget to check out your Sun sign AND your Mercury placement!)

For All:

Take some time for yourself! This was an overall chaotic period, so take a step back and relax. Don’t make any drastic decisions or changes for a little while. Get your nails done, get a massage, have a girls’ night, a picnic in the park (before it gets too cold). And whatever you do, do NOT text that old flame from your past that you’ve been thinking about recently. You’re doing great, give yourself a chance to continue on that path rather than reopen old wounds.

♈ Aries

You may have been confused about your relationships recently, and so you may feel unbalanced and out of control with others. In this recovery period, communication is key, Aries. You may want to find the best ways to reconnect in an easy, tension-free way with the people you hold closest. Drastic changes are not the way to go; ease back into your comfort zone in your relationships, slowly but surely.

To-Dos: Spend time with friends, family, and your SO, make a playlist of songs you haven’t listened to in a while, journal, get your nails done.

Best Essential Oils: Cedarwood, Lemon, Thyme

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Turquoise, Emerald, Rose Quartz

Chakra Focus: Throat Chakra (4th)

♉ Taurus

This Rx likely impacted your routine. You might be left feeling disorganized and a bit jumbled, both within yourself and at work or school. Now is the time to take a step back, re-evaluate what’s not working or what’s missing from your routine, and figure out the best way to fix it. Do what’s best for you! If you need to alter something so that your mental health stays intact, do it! Change is tricky for you, Taurus, but it’s okay to embrace it.

To-Dos: Journal, do a fun workout, deep clean your living space and/or your workspace, revamp your social media.

Best Essential Oils: Basil, Patchouli, Tea Tree

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Aragonite, Smoky Quartz, Tiger’s Eye

Chakra Focus: Solar Plexus Chakra (3rd)

♊ Gemini

Genuine joy is something that we tend to take for granted, and you may have learned this one the hard way during this Rx, Gemini. The things you usually do to bring out the little joys in your life may not have worked, but this recovery period is a perfect opportunity to explore new things! Find some new hobbies or try some different activities with your friends and SO. Just get creative!

To-Dos: Get a coloring book, read a new book, bake, have a dance party with yourself, meditate.

Best Essential Oils: Peppermint, Sandalwood, Orange

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Tiger’s Eye, Carnelian, Amethyst

Chakra Focus: Sacral Chakra (2nd)

♋ Cancer

Your heart took the brunt of this Rx. Whether it was homesickness, quarrels with your family, past loves resurfacing, or any other form of nostalgia, that big heart that leads you in all your relationships needs a break. Spend some quality time with the people who make you happiest, whether it’s your friends or family (both immediate and extended), and remind yourself of who is really there for you. You might also want to deep clean your living space; just wipe away any sort of physical or mental heaviness that might be weighing on you.

To-Dos: Reorganize your living space, go to a museum with your besties, watch your favorite movie, go through and clean out your camera roll.

Best Essential Oils: Ylang-Ylang, Geranium, Jasmine

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Rose Quartz, Emerald, Green Aventurine

Chakra Focus: Heart Chakra (4th)

♌ Leo

Leo, words were hard for you during this Rx. You may have found yourself saying things you didn’t mean, or maybe you got your words all twisted and gave others wrong impressions. It’s okay! Check on your besties, your SO, your family, your coworkers, pretty much anyone you communicate with regularly, and make sure you’re all on the same page. Just don’t overthink it; do what you have to do, but make sure your intentions are clear to those around you.

To-Dos: Journaling is the most important thing to do this month. You can also revamp your resume, take a bath with a fun bubble bath or bath bomb, or go shopping with your besties.

Best Essential Oils: Fennel, Frankincense, Ginger

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Amethyst, Sodalite, Lapis Lazuli

Chakra Focus: Throat Chakra (5th)

♍ Virgo

Ahh, money. This Rx was not the time for you to make any big commitments/decisions when it came to your finances. Hopefully, you took this time to play it safe, but if you didn’t, now is the time to get your finances in order. Check how much you saved and spent in October and November, and set some serious goals for December! Keep track of your savings, and you can finally get that cute dress you saw in a store window or a fancy and expensive stationary set you’ve been eyeing for months.

To-Dos: Start or reorganize a money journal, have a girls’ night, spend some time outdoors with your SO, manifest!

Best Essential Oils: Eucalyptus, Chamomile, Cinnamon

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Pyrite, Green Jade, Citrine

Chakra Focus: Base Chakra (1st)

♎ Libra

Libras, listen up: since this last Rx was in your sign, you had an interesting few weeks, to say the least. You may have found yourself over-fixated on your identity and your physical appearance. Maybe you spiced up your hair, tried new makeup and skin products, or started experimenting with a new style. Make sure that you haven’t lost sight of your best self. But, you’re a Libra, everyone already loves you, so relax and make sure you love yourself too.

To-Dos: Go shopping, put on a hydrating face mask, clean out your closet.

Best Essential Oils: Cypress, Rose, Juniper

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Rhodonite, Rose Quartz, Carnelian

Chakra Focus: Solar Plexus Chakra (3rd)

♏ Scorpio

You had a spooky Rx. Whether you believe in spiritual powers or not, you may have noticed some weird coincidences or deja-vu moments. Don’t worry, it’s a sign to recharge your inner battery and check in with your intuition. You have the power to change your own reality, Scorpio, so do what you have to do! Take this time to reconnect with yourself and your spirituality.

To-Dos: Head to a metaphysical shop and get yourself a new crystal or stone, meditate, do some yoga, get your nails done (or do them yourself).

Best Essential Oils: Oregano, Rosemary, Lemon Eucalyptus

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Moonstone, Aventurine, Blue Agate

Chakra Focus: Third Eye Chakra (6th) or Crown Chakra (7th)

♐ Sagittarius

Your social life may have taken a bit of a hit this Rx. You might have found yourself drifting away from those you felt closest to, or maybe you reconnected with someone you once relied on and held close. Whether you realized it or not, there was likely a shift in your social scene, and while that can be scary, it can also be good to think about why these shifts may have occurred and why they’re sticking. You don’t necessarily need to cut certain people out of your life, but maybe it’s time to really think about where they fit in it.

To-Dos: Make a playlist of your favorite songs from your childhood, clean out your desk, take a walk outdoors by yourself, take a new friend out for coffee.

Best Essential Oils: Myrrh, Cypress, Wintergreen

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Blue Quartz, Lodolite, Amber

Chakra Focus: Heart Chakra (4th)

♑ Capricorn

You’ve always kept your personal and professional lives separate, but they seemed to get wrapped up in each other during this Rx. You may have let your feelings about stress at work or in your developing career take a toll on your personal life and relationships. But Capricorns, it’s time to kick it back into gear. Since they both revolve around you, your personal and professional lives will never be truly separate, but give yourself the time and space to focus on your work when you’re at work, and make time to do whatever de-stresses you whenever you can. You deserve it.

To-Dos: Take a bath, eat your favorite foods, get your nails done, revamp your resume, go through and clean out your camera roll.

Best Essential Oils: Black Pepper, Birch, Clove

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Howlite, Labradorite, Agate

Chakra Focus: Heart Chakra (4th)

♒ Aquarius

You may have felt twisted around during this Rx, Aquarius. Maybe you felt lost or that you were losing sight of your path. Now would be the time to reground yourself and find your way home — as cheesy as that sounds. Reconnect with your friends and family, maybe reach out to some people you don’t talk to as much anymore but who always made you feel happy and at home. Maybe even take a short little vacation wherever the wind sends you! Embrace the changes, don’t fight them.

To-Dos: Go shopping, take a fun day trip somewhere with friends, go to a dog park, meditate.

Best Essential Oils: Cinnamon, Basil, Tea Tree

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Black Obsidian, Jasper, Black Tourmaline

Chakra Focus: Third Eye Chakra (6th)

♓ Pisces

Feelings. You already feel all of the feelings, Pisces, and this Rx really brought them out. You probably had communication issues with someone you’re romantically involved with. Find some new, fun things to do with your partner to create new levels of intimacy in your romance. We don’t need any more drama. Just find a way to discover what makes your relationship work, however big or small it may be.

To-Dos: Binge a new TV show with your SO, find a fun craft to do, get your tarot cards read, reorganize your playlists, or make some new ones!

Best Essential Oils: Geranium, Spearmint, Jasmine

Helpful Crystals and/or Gemstones: Amethyst, Rose Quartz, Morganite

Chakra Focus: Sacral Chakra (2nd)

Maya Gengozian is the editor-in-chief and co-campus correspondent at Her Campus NYU. She top-edits and fact-checks all chapter content and is the primary source for all writing and publishing. She is responsible for managing the editorial calendar and ensuring the writing team has everything they need to write Gen Z's favorite content. She also oversees all chapter social media. Professionally, Maya works as a staff writer for BroadwayWorld Cabaret. She previously worked as an editorial intern for The Story Exchange, an award-winning nonprofit media organization dedicated to elevating women’s voices. She has also written for College Magazine and Cooper Squared. At NYU, Maya is the president of West 4th Stage Company, NYU Steinhardt's primary performance club, and is on the communications committee for Women in Music NYU. She is a senior studying journalism and vocal performance: musical theater, with a minor in producing. When she's not writing or working on one of the many projects she has at a time, Maya consumes entertainment. She enjoys watching TV and movies (she’s probably re-watching “The Bold Type” or “The Good Wife” as you read this), going to live theater, and spending time with friends. She is an avid listener of “Brooke and Connor Make a Podcast,” “Crime Junkie,” and “Pop Culture Happy Hour.”