Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video
Style

How to Achieve the ‘Rockstar/Stargirl’ Aesthetic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Embracing your inner Daisy Jones is totally in style — it’s making a strong comeback in our current aesthetic lineup and is slightly nostalgic of 2013’s infamous Tumblr-era fashion (popularly coined the “rockstar’s girlfriend” look). Just to be clear, you certainly don’t have to be anyone’s girlfriend to do the aesthetic justice — in fact, I highly encourage becoming a rockstar in your own right. It’s centered around the effortless, grunge look, emulating ultimate cool-girl status. New York City is a perfect backdrop for the aesthetic in question, honing in on the look of a girl strolling in the city streets after a night out — think leather, sparkly eyeshadow and a huge fur coat. Put on some Fleetwood Mac or Blondie and get ready to visualize a life on the road full of rock and roll, glitz and glamor, smudged makeup and tousled hair.

https://www.tiktok.com/@yaangi777/video/7126651277626510638?_r=1&_t=8bgpOfRbEja

If you want to channel your inner rockstar this summer,look no further for the top tips when it comes to actualizing all of your Pinterest board finds.

embrace the energy and attitude

Remind yourself that the rockstar or stargirl (an ode to The Weeknd’s “Starboy”) aesthetic lies solely in energy and attitude — you don’t need a $200 leather jacket to properly achieve maximum cool vibes. The laid back nature of the aesthetic means going with the flow, undone hair and makeup and embracing music in all forms. Think next-day curls, dark eye makeup and curated, yet easy going fashion.

mix and match clothing styles

Mix and match styling is the best way to go if trying to tap into a free-flowing wardrobe genre — things like bohemian prints, ruffles in skirts, pants matched with heavier coats, simple black tank tops or tied corset tops. The more unorthodox, the better. 

experiment with textures

Expanding on that, play with textures and focus on an eclectic mix of fashion. You can break up a silky top with distressed denim or other heavy fabrics, leather skirts with light cotton tees, and chunky knits with skin-tight pleather or suede. Err on the side of variety when curating your outfit, which will give it a more old-school, vintage feel. 

basics are key

Basics are an important foundation to any wardrobe, and this particular aesthetic is no exception. Invest in some good quality t-shirts, tank tops, sweaters and jeans that you feel good in, no matter how dressed up or down you’re planning to be. An easy way to achieve this groundwork without having to go on a shopping spree is to lean into your black clothing — black pants or black bodysuits for an all-black outfit will always give the impression of being super put together. This blank canvas will help you greatly when you want to experiment a bit more with fabrics or prints, giving you a solid foundation to fall back on. 

layers are your friend

Layering is another great way to add dimension to any look and give it a more personalized feel. Cardigans under trench coats and long sleeve shirts under short sleeve tees will give your look character and is easily achievable in giving your outfit all of the rugged rockstar realness. You’ll keep warm in the colder months too, an added bonus to the vibe.

simple yet bold hair and makeup

On the note of hair and makeup, you can keep it pretty minimalistic while still getting your point across. Shag cuts, bangs and messy bobs will never go out of style and can also be easy transition cuts when you want to freshen up your look and give it some edge. Bangs do require some upkeep and styling, but the other cuts really thrive with the “just rolled out of bed” look. When it comes to makeup, bold eyes will steal the show and tie everything together. Sparkly shadows and colorful or black and brown liners in your waterline will darken up the eyes and make your eye color pop — a two-for-one deal. Keeping a simple foundation base and a more neutral lip will help to really center the focus of the makeup to your eyes, sealing the whole “effortless edge” aesthetic.

In all, keep it simple, keep it free, and remember that a dark makeup look, wild hair and donning all-black staple pieces can fulfill all of your Penny Lane fantasies. Most importantly though, confidence and mindset will truly make the look come to life and don’t require a major wardrobe revamp or a trip to the salon. After all, you’ve just got to keep it rock n’ roll. 

Kat Samper is an NYU senior majoring in journalism and French. She currently resides in New York City but is originally from sunny Miami, Florida.