How to Repair Dry and Damaged Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

High End Products:

​​1. Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask 

The product that started the hair care revolution a few years back and is still one of the best products in the market. But this stuff is pretty expensive, so use it sparingly. A beauty professional recommended it to me to only use it once a week because it’s really heavy. This mask is great if your hair is really damaged; you will see instant results after using it about two times.

2. Carol’s Daughter TUI Hydrating Leave-in Conditioner

An all natural product, this conditioner helps protect your hair from heat damage and gives you a straight blow-dry look. However, for those looking for a leave in conditioner, I wouldn’t recommend this specific product because it will not make your hair tangle free and super soft.

3. Redken All Soft Line (Shampoo, Conditioners, Hair Mask)

Personally, I really love this line because my hair always smells so nice and feels luscious afterwards. Not to mention, Redken products tend to be on the cheaper side of high-end haircare brands.

Affordable Products:

4. Aussie Three Minute Miracle Moist

Not only is it an amazing drugstore hair mask, but it’s also light enough on your hair that you can use it everyday as your normal conditioner. I have tried multiple drugstore hair masks and can confirm that nothing can compare. The tropical scent is heavenly too.

5. Head and Shoulders Shampoo

For some odd reason, I feel as if this brand has a somewhat negative stigma around it, not sure why. I really love their shampoo and have been using it for years now. It does an amazing job of keeping my scalp moisturized, and it’s very affordable. Dry hair can often lead to an itchy scalp, but fear not because this product will definitely help.

6. TRES-emme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray

This product is a must have if you use any heat on your hair. You can find it almost anywhere, it’s super affordable, smells nice, and doesn’t make your hair too sticky.  Not to mention, it’s a cult favorite of YouTubers and beauty bloggers.

7. Clear Hair and Scalp Therapy Shampoos and Conditioners

This line is great because you can easily buy a combination of products for a really cheap price. However, take note that these products won’t work for everyone because they might make your hair a bit overly greasy.  

Tips:

1. Don’t Wash Your Hair Too Often → I know this might sound gross, but it really helps, and your hair will naturally adjust to your new routine. To help with oiliness, use dry shampoo! My favorites are the Batiste Dry Shampoo that you can pretty much find at any CVS or Walgreens and the Bumble and Bumble Pret a Powder which can be found at Sephora or Ricky’s NYC.

2. Cut Down On the Heat Styling → Even if you use a heat protectant, (which you should always be using to protect your strands!) the heat from hot tools can really dry out and damage your hair. So when you can, let your hair air dry or just refrain from curling or straightening your hair every once in awhile.

3. Refrain from using sea salt sprays → The contents of these sprays will dry out your hair because the product is meant to give your hair texture. Unless it’s a beach texture oil, don’t use it.

4. Try to not color treat your hair → This is a big one. I am not saying don’t color treat your hair (go have fun and do whatever you want, it’s your hair!) But if your hair is really damaged, try not to do so as frequently to let your hair heal after it’s been bleached or dyed.

5. Get a Haircut → This won’t solve dry scalp or dry hair problems in general, but it will help get rid of those dry and damaged ends and allow your hair to grow healthier.

6. Eat Nourishing Foods: Fish, Greek Yogurt, Spinach, Almond Butter, Oatmeal, Guava, Sweet Potatoes, and Eggs are all foods that will help with hair growth, shine, and preventing breakage!

7. In case you aren’t the healthiest eater, take Vitamins: special vitamins for hair, nails, and skin can be found at your local drugstore. I personally like the Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails Gummies.

Don’t we all want luscious locks like Cher?

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.