Career

How to Navigate Making a Big Decision

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Navigating a big decision can be a tough process filled with anxiety, stress, and mixed emotions. With graduation coming up, this can be especially hard for seniors or those making plans for the future. Here are some tips for you to consider when making a big decision that will hopefully make the process a little bit easier.

Consult your parents.

Mother knows best is a common saying for a reason! Often, your parents might have a unique perspective when it comes to your decision (and have many more years of life experience!) Consider consulting them for feedback you might not have thought of beforehand.

Ask your friends.

Your friends have seen you through thick and thin, so they have your best interest at heart. Consider asking a friend or two what they think your decision should be.

Sit down with your SO.

If you have an SO, definitely take their opinion into consideration, after all, their feelings matter too. Especially if this decision will affect your relationship in anyway, it is a good idea to include them.

Make an appointment with an academic/career advisor.

Particularly for job or academic decisions, consider making an appointment at the Wasserman Center here at NYU or with your academic advisor. You can schedule an appointment online or call to make one, and a career coach will certainly give you a better perspective on the choice you have in front of you.

See a professor.

If you have a professor or faculty mentor you feel comfortable about consulting, consider emailing them to meet at their office or for coffee to discuss your next step. Often, they will be able to give you advice that is professional and might help steer you in a direction that is more academic.

All the people mentioned above are great resources you can use when making your decision. They will all bring unique perspectives and will always have your best interests in mind. Regardless of the decision you make, you can at least be reassured that you have support behind you moving forward.

Originally Canadian, Supriya grew up in rural South Carolina before going to school in New York City. She currently studies Global Public Health and Nutrition with a minor in Public Policy. She is passionate about empowering young women and enjoys travelling, reading, and eating ramen with her friends!
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.