How to Nail the 70s Trend in 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Richard Nixon, the Vietnam War, and smoking while pregnant were just a few of the trends better left in the 1970’s. But recently, 70’s culture has made a comeback both on the runway and in street style. While it may be trendy, fashion followers everywhere need to be weary of looking too outdated or even tacky when trying the trend.

It’s important when going for a 70’s inspired look, not to go overboard. Try to balance out the vintage inspired pieces with a more modern twist. Avoid looking out of date by using trends that you’re inspired by and working them into your current wardrobe. Buying just a few key pieces can update, or rather throwback, your style in a fresh way.

Bell bottoms are the quintessential 70’s trend. Go for a mid to high waisted pair for more of a vintage look, and a flattering option. Try a darker wash as well–they’ll look more sleek and put together. An easy way to pair bell bottoms are with a white peasant top tucked in. For cooler days, substitute a cropped sweater. Add wedges or platforms for a classy, yet comfy look.

For a trendier look, suede is being updated in various pieces. A suede shift dress with tights and booties is simple, but put together. Depending on the accessories, it can be worn a variety of ways. Adding a motorcycle jacket, hat, or sunglasses can elevate the look for an edgier style. Although pricey, they are an investment piece because of how versatile they are. Less expensive options can be found at H&M or Forever 21 if you want to try out the trend without committing a lot of money.

My favorite trend, faux fur, is perfect if you’re looking to elevate your wardrobe in a new way. Although faux fur has been around for a while, it’s almost impossible to enter a store and not be tempted by the jackets, vests, and other items on display. Cruelty free, but fashion forward, faux fur is a great way to keep warm in the winter while looking as stylish as possible. A fur vest can be thrown on with almost any outfit, or be worn with a dressier look for nights out. Faux fur coats can be worn on a daily basis, bringing warmth and comfort to your style. Go for a riskier color like a pastel and you will look like a glamorous vision straight out of “Scream Queens.” 

Fringe is another trend that can be easily incorporated into the modern wardrobe for a woman living in 2015. Fringe items such as vests and jackets have become especially accessible at fast fashion chains such as Forever 21 or Zara. In a variety of hues, fringe jackets can be paired with staple pieces to elevate an otherwise basic outfit. Worn properly, this outfit can be the most modern of 70’s trends.

Finally platform shoes are back and nearly as popular as they were in the 70’s. The shoe department in Topshop has a wide variety of options as far as platforms go. Although they will be out of season post-fall, they can be worn again in the spring with flirty dresses and other girlier pieces. Adding a cute pair of socks could also dress up the look. Shoes are often overlooked when piecing together an outfit that’s inspired from previous decades, but they are a detail that could amplify the look. Of course, if you don’t feel like spending money on new 70’s inspired shoes, you could always wear your Chuck Taylor’s, one of the few items that have yet to go out of style since then.

Regardless of which trends you choose to rock this season, find inspiration from the past while making it your own. Mixing pieces from the 70’s and current day creates an interesting and completely unique look. Rather than re-live the past, take influence from it and rock it now in 2015.

Images created on Polyvore

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.