How I Learned to Enjoy Spending Time Alone in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

I’m more of a people person, a social butterfly you could say. And I don’t mean that in the resume “Hire me!” type of way, but more so that I’ve never really spent more than a few hours alone. Being extremely extroverted, I usually get most of my energy from simply being around other human beings. The concept of alone time really only applied to me when I was: in the shower, binge watching Gilmore Girls, or sleeping at night.

As you can imagine, I was in a bit of a culture shock when my parents dropped me off in Greenwich Village last fall. They said a quick, heartfelt goodbye, and suddenly I was alone. I came to NYU not knowing a single person. And while I did make friends pretty quickly, I learned that college is the time to embrace being alone. At first, I would desperately try to avoid this “me time” at all costs. It was uncomfortable and unfamiliar to me. Back at home, my high school friends and I were always together, essentially inseparable. We collectively babysat, did homework, got our iPhones fixed, and even visited the dentist and doctor together. Living in a (frankly) uneventful, suburban, Massachusetts town didn’t leave many options for activities or exploration, so we would constantly be running errands with one another instead. We knew each other’s schedule for the day and shared to-do lists.

I was suddenly very cognizant of my new status as an actual adult in the real world, without someone to hold my hand along the way. I began to run errands by myself. Spending time alone started out with small changes: buying books for class, picking up food in the dining hall, or going shopping by myself. I would put in my earbuds and go do what needed to be done. Eventually, I started just aimlessly wandering around my neighborhood, trying to grasp a sense of direction not only as an NYU freshman but also as a freshman to the city. With only music to accompany me, I began to enjoy the long walks by myself. I had time to reflect, and for the first time, I didn’t need to confirm with anyone where I wanted to grab coffee or eat. I exerted absolute freedom to do whatever my heart wanted to do.

One day, after watching “Frida”, a beautiful film about the life of Mexican Painter Frida Kahlo, I decided to go to the MoMA to learn more about her intriguing pieces. It was calming to wander off in the galleries alone. I could go at my own desired pace and follow my own personal agenda. Much to my surprise, I enjoyed myself even more than usual.

Now, in my second semester at NYU, I am able to go about my day alone with ease, and genuinely cherish spending time with no one but myself. It offers time to unwind from the bustling city, get lost in my own thoughts, and even grow as a person. Although it may be a bit daunting initially to go out and take on the city alone, I highly encourage everyone to boldly give it a try at least once. Being alone creates a sense of independence and self-sufficiency. Not only is it a fruitful skill to possess, but it is also necessary for your adult life to come. Here’s to loving ourselves and embracing solitude!

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.