Life > Experiences

How to Have the Perfect Zoom Galentine’s Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is historically a holiday for romantic love yet it has evolved recently to celebrate friendships and this gave birth to Galentine’s Day. Leslie Knope from Parks and Rec first coined the holiday in 2010 for ladies to celebrate ladies and forget the men in their lives for a night. Usually celebrated a day before Valentine’s day on February 13, the day is all about celebrating your gal pals but this can be done all year long. During this tough time, show your ride or dies, your girlfriends and sisters some love with the perfect Zoom Galentine’s night with these ideas: 

• Movie Night: 

An option that you can never go wrong with. A classic movie like Breakfast at Tiffany’s on Netflix Party is a safe yet fun way to chill with your girlfriends. Another great movie to watch is To All the Boys: Always and Forever on Netflix, set in New York City, the movie follows the adventures of Lara Jean moving to college and definitely incites some Violet Pride for NYU students. Light some candles, serve some popcorn, pour a drink and you’re set to have a virtual cozy night in with your girls. 

• Trivia Night:

A simple game to spice up your night with your girlies- have each friend write 10 questions about themselves. Decide whether you would like to make the game easier by providing multiple-choice options or leave the questions open-ended to see how well they know you. At the end of the game, tally the scores and the winner receives a present of your choice! 

• Virtual Spa Night:

There’s nothing better than a spa night with your girlfriends. Get together on Zoom with your favorite face masks on, share your skincare routines and paint your nails. While loving your friends on Galentine’s, don’t forget to pour some of that love for yourself! 

• Powerpoint Night

During the pandemic, PowerPoint nights have become increasingly popular and make for a great bonding experience between friends and family. Before the Zoom party, everyone creates a PowerPoint on an entirely random topic- something only your friends love. Get your thinking caps on and get creative. After every presentation, vote for who had the wildest presentation.

• Virtual Painting Night

Channel your inner Bob Ross’s and create some artistic masterpieces together. Make sure everyone has the required equipment for painting and follow a paid Bob Ross tutorial or find one online that fills the boxes for the kind of art you want to create with your girls. Let your creative juices flow and relax, this is a great way to enhance your painting skills. 

This Valentine’s and Galentine’s is unlike any other but make sure to remind yourself, your girlfriends, and your dear ones that they are loved. Let us know if you try any of these on your next Girls Night.

Manika is a sophomore majoring in Media, Culture and Communication and minoring in the Business of Media at NYU. While her heart lies in the sand dunes of Dubai, she couldn’t be any happier to live in the city that never sleeps, New York City. Manika has the biggest sweet tooth that always welcomes desserts so if she’s not found chasing pretty pink sunset skies, she can be found digging into desserts! When she isn’t found doing either of these, she’s definitely snuggled up in bed rewatching Friends for the millionth time! Reach out to her on instagram for comments, suggestions or simply say hi @manikaa.p