This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s winter and you know what that means: bitter cold weather, warm drinks, an immense number of consecutive holidays, and cuffing season. Despite the dreaded mantra, midst the cold weather and holidays, it can be quite easy to feel lonely and long for a significant other. 

Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s okay to feel this way and there’s definitely no need to feel bad about it. Here are some ways to not only normalize but enjoy being single during the holiday season. 

Surround Yourself with Friends and Family 

As many winter activities involve having a significant other, you don’t actually have to partake in them with a date. It’s okay to plan holiday activities like ice skating, watching Christmas specials, going shopping, or even cuddle sessions without a partner. Take some time to plan activities with other people you care about like your friends and family. It allows you to catch up with them and make new everlasting memories that you most likely won’t force yourself to forget after a nasty breakup. 

Volunteer 

The holiday season is a time of giving, especially to the less fortunate. I consider volunteering to be one of the most rewarding and humbling experiences because you get a chance to make an impact on someone else’s life. Try to focus your energy on something that can actually benefit another person and make their holiday season as joyous as yours. 

Spend Some Time Taking Care of Yourself

As it is a time to spend and dedicate time to others, you should also make an effort to focus on yourself and practice self-care. The holiday season can be hectic for some so it’s important to put yourself in a position where you feel in control of yourself and comfortable with yourself. Take yourself out and treat yourself. Stay in and have a movie marathon with your favorite snacks. Try things you have never done before like planning a solo road trip for the day.

Change Your Look

As soon as December hit, I decided to revamp my entire style. I got a drastic haircut and even went out of my way to buy some new clothes for myself during my holiday Christmas spree. You can buy a pair of earrings you really like, get a new tattoo, or even buy a pair of shoes you always wanted but never imagined wearing. You don’t have to go through any extreme changes but sometimes a subtle change can be refreshing and a break from routine, especially to ring in the new year. 

There’s a misconception in the media that people need to “cope” with being single during the holidays. Well, you there’s no need to cope with a breakup or being single, it’s a sign of renewal and independence. Being in a relationship is great but so is being single. There’s no need to pit the two situations against each other. So put “cuffing season” to rest, you can enjoy the holidays with or without a partner. 

Images: 1/2/3/4

Currently a Junior at New York University studying English literature and Creative Writing. Loves a good book, cheap fitness classes, and a lava cake here and there.