This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

As the days get colder and colder, you may find it harder to get comfy in your room. Enter hygge…

Hygge (pronounced hue-guh): A quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).

Keep reading to see how to bring some hygge into your dorm room this fall.

Extra Pillows

Nothing says comfort like falling into a bed of pillows at the end of a long day. Try to go for different textures to create a more balanced look for your bed. A fuzzy pillow or one with an inspirational quote is sure to bring good vibes to your room this season.

Fairy Lights

Dorm lighting can be kind of harsh, so we recommend string lights. Fairy lights are great for decoration, but definitely go for bulbs if you want to be able to see well without ruining the cozy vibe. Target has sets in four different colors for just under $10!

Tea

A warm cup of tea can be just what you need at the end of a day out in the cold. We recommend chamomile to help you relax before going to sleep.

Throw Blanket

Sometimes a comforter just isn’t enough to combat the cold. A throw blanket can be just what you need to add some extra warmth and style to your bed. Try out a thick knit blanket or a furry one for some added texture.

Candle Melts & Wax Melt Warmer

No flames allowed…no problem! Get all the fall vibes of your favorite candles without breaking dorm rules by using a wax melt warmer. Just check in with your roommate in case they’re sensitive to certain scents. We love these pumpkin scented candle melts from Bath & Body Works!

Fluffy PJs

Match the vibe of your room with some comfy PJs! We love anything fleece for extra warmth. This jumpsuit from Aerie will definitely keep you warm as get closer to the colder months.

Add a Rug

Nothing’s worse than getting out of a warm bed only to find your feet on the freezing floor. For added protection for your toes before you can find your slippers in the morning, get yourself a rug. This one from Bed Bath & Beyond will add extra warmth, especially if you have tile floors.

We hope you’re inspired to create more hygge and make your dorm extra cozy this fall!

Image Credits: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7

Chelsea is social media inspired senior at NYU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Entertainment Business. In her free time she enjoys saving the environment one thrifting trip at a time, having impromptu photoshoots with friends around the city, and creating content for her blog, Bloomsista.com.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.