This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

In the wake of the Oscar nominations being announced for the 2021 season, cinephiles everywhere were quite shocked to hear about the abundance of films available for judging. When the concept of releasing new projects via streaming accounts was first introduced, the public was awry about how it would work, but everytime it was highly welcomed. 

The platforms — Netflix, Hulu, HBOMax, and Disney Plus — have been hard at work releasing new content for audience members in lieu of theatrical releases. They understand that a huge cultural experience is getting to see new movies at the theatres with friends- something that the pandemic has been stripped away from us. 

Below you can find the newest releases that will be coming out this month on the streaming platforms mentioned earlier. 

The Snyder Cut of Justice League (HBOMax)

Back in 2017 when the original film was released, Snyder had to back out of directing due to her daughter passing away, leading former Avengers’ director Joss Whedon to take over. It failed tragically at the box office, leading Snyder to come back and release the film he originally imagined the way it was supposed to be.

The United States v. Billie Holliday (Hulu)

This groundbreaking Lee Daniels film that centers on the singer’s life filled with drugs FBI  investigations won star Andra Day a historic Golden Globe win and an Academy Award nomination.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney Plus)

After the success of WandaVision, this new TV take on the Marvel Cinematic Universe will explore what the two sidekicks of Chris Evans beloved “Captain America” have been up to since the ending of Avengers: Endgame.

Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney Plus)

A story about a princess of the fantasy land of Kumandra, Raya is tasked with stopping the Druun from overtaking her land and contacts the help of dragons to assist her in doing so. This film is available with Disney’s Premier Access.

Although new releases are still minimal, there are still valuable options to choose from. Wherever you are, these films and T.V. shows are accessible anywhere so grab some popcorn and any streaming device and enjoy!

Hi my name is Egesi Iheduru and I am originally from Phoenix, Arizona but am now studying Psychology and Cinema Studies at New York University! I love to watch all types of movies, ranging from indie art films to superhero franchises (forever Team Marvel!). Some of my hobbies include cheerleading, gymnastics, singing, and shopping at the mall. In the near future, I see myself working in either political psychology or screenwriting/acting in feature films. I'm very excited to be joining Her Campus to share some of my wisdom I've learned throughout my college experience.
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu