Culture > News

Guide to New York City’s Thanksgiving Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Thanksgiving marks the start of the “most wonderful time of the year,” but I think that it is the most fantastic time of the year in itself. I love everything about it, from the food to the atmosphere and, most importantly, the Black Friday sales. Thanksgiving in NYC is something extra special. Check some of the things you can’t miss this Thanksgiving right here in NYC. 

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is one of NYC’s most iconic events! It is in its 92nd year with so many iconic balloon characters, Santa and the Rockettes! Every year, the parade always comes through the streets of NYC with a lot of celebration and fun. The parade is worth braving the cold as it brings laughter, joy, and smiles on many people’s faces. 

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular

I have seen this show almost every year since I was 18, and it is one of my favorite ways to get into the holiday spirit! The show opened on Nov 8 and will continue through Jan 5. I love seeing this show around Thanksgiving, and you can usually get a better deal around that time. Book on one of the Santa hat days to score a free Santa hat to wear during the show (and after, I have no shame). 

Bryant Park’s Winter Village 

This park is one of my favorite places to visit all the time. It just feels so magical! The food is delicious, the gifts are adorable, and the ice skating is so much fun! Grab your besties for a great time and some wonderful winter memories. I love going before the official holiday season starts because ice skating is usually a bit cheaper, and it is a little less crowded. 

Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade Balloon Inflation

This event gives you a behind the scenes look at one of the biggest events in NYC. It takes place between 3-10 pm the day before Thanksgiving. You can get a better view of your favorite character balloons up close and personal and beat most of the crowds that will inevitably form for the parade. 

New York City Ballet: George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker

Are you a true New Yorker if you haven’t seen this show? This ballet is the most iconic Christmas show known to humans. It screams old-time Christmas and is the perfect thing to do over Thanksgiving. 

Window Shopping

Now I don’t just mean browsing windows in your favorite stores here. I am talking about the spectacular window arrangements in many department stores throughout NYC. Check out the Macy’s Christmas windows that are gorgeous and will put you in the holiday mood. Or check out the Tiffany windows for a glammed up view. Don’t forget about the Saks 5th Ave light show. It is genuinely incredible, and the best part is that they are all free.

Thanksgiving in NYC is such an exciting time, take advantage of it while you are here! You won’t regret all of the unique memories you can make in this glorious city that we have the opportunity of going to school. 

Images courtesy of Timeout and author’s own. 

I am an MCC major with a focus in fashion. I love to shop, especially for designer bags, and you can always catch me at the next sample sale! I love writing about sample sales and which one I am headed to next.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.