freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

A Guide to Finding the Perfect Valentine’s Day Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Valentine’s Day in and of itself is already a stressful holiday, and trying to find the perfect outfit only adds to our already sky-high anxiety. Staring uninspired at open closets and digging through dresser drawers in search of confidence-boosting clothing is definitely not a good way to start the day. So, to rescue you from any impending wardrobe malfunctions and meltdowns, here is a guide to putting together an excellent ensemble tailored to your Valentine’s Day plans.

For an Athletic Adventure

Whether you’re planning on attending a spin or yoga class with your friends, or going on a hike with your significant other, fun, patterned workout clothes would be a great outfit choice. 

To keep the whole look balanced, be sure to select either a patterned top or a patterned bottom, not both. Mixing solids and prints in a cohesive color family will also make your outfit look more put together. If you really want to get into the holiday spirit, try wearing a solid pink top with a pink motif pair of leggings. 

For a Casual Coffee Chat

Grabbing a latte with someone special this Valentine’s Day? Try pairing high-waisted boyfriend jeans with an off-the-shoulder top for an edgier vibe, or perhaps a long-sleeved dress with tall riding boots and a chunky scarf for a classic, timeless look.

For an Elegant Dinner Date

If you have a fancy dinner on your agenda for February 14, you can’t go wrong with a dress and heels. Unsure where to start? A black dress is always in style, and a wrap silhouette would flatter any body type. Think of a black dress as a simple foundation: wear it with tons of your favorite accessories, like bold ear jackets, and perhaps a strappy high heel in an unexpected hue.

Any alternatives? Opt for dark skinny jeans and lace top, or a sequin skirt paired with a chunky, knit sweater to keep you warm in this windy New York City winter weather.

Valentine’s Day is also the best occasion to wear red, especially on a romantic date, if you are looking to stand out from the crowd. Or, try a deep burgundy shade for a subtler way to rock the holiday’s signature color.

For a Girl’s Night In

If your Valentine’s Day plans include a movie marathon cozied up on the couch with popcorn while wearing a face mask, break out some festive pajamas or chic loungewear. The “Sleep & Lounge” department at Nordstrom and Aerie both offer an endless selection of cute, comfortable options. Don’t forget fuzzy socks and an eye mask when it’s time for beauty sleep!

No matter which outfit you choose, be sure that it brings a smile to your face – this truly is the best accessory a girl can wear! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Images courtesy of Pexels.

Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com