Good Eats: A Guide to New Restaurants Opening in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Looking for a new place to eat this spring? Check out this guide to the best new restaurants near campus, and consider giving one (or all) a try.

Who: GMT Tavern
What: British-themed pub
Where: 142 Bleecker St. (near LaGuardia)
GMT Tavern (GMT standing for the Greenwich Mean Time zone), will open soon in the space formerly occupied by Señor Swanky’s, amid the rowdy sports bars and dives that traditionally line Bleecker street. This is a step up from your average Bleecker bar, however—the owner, somewhat snarkily, has said that he hopes the tavern will draw a “more educated crowd” than those who typically frequent the neighboring establishments—and the tavern reportedly has no TV’s, no Bud Light, and no Miller Light. What it does have is ambiance, more than twenty good draft beers, and a great-looking (albeit pricey) cocktail list.

Who: Pizza Roma
What: healthy(?) pizza
Where: 259 Bleecker St. (near Cornelia)
This pizzeria prides itself on Roman-style pizzas (meaning, rectangular slabs that are cut and sold by the inch) that are supposedly lighter and healthier than the average New York slice. The menu also sells fresh focaccia, antipasti, salads, lasagna, and dessert pizzas. It has counter service with a casual seating area as well as takeout, and the restaurant has received good reviewsfrom reviewers and fans of authentic Italian fare.

Who: Pop Pub
What: burger joint
Where: 83 University Pl. (between 11thand 12th)
Pop Pub is a recently opened spinoff of Pop Burger, a burger joint/cocktail lounge with a couple locations uptown. The pub gives a nod to its predecessors’ sleek, Warhol-style décor, but has a more rustic vibe that is more reminiscent of a tavern than a cocktail lounge. The menuoffers burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, salads, and pub food like popcorn shrimp and onion rings. The restaurant has more than a dozen beers on tap and lots more by the bottle, as well as a menu of beer cocktails. They reportedly offer a breakfast menu, too—and people are raving about their French toast sticks.

Who: The Mussel Pot
What: mussels
Where: 174 Bleecker St.
The Mussel Pot is an upscale and unique seafood restaurant that has more than two dozen mussel dishes, inspired by different cuisines from around the globe. The menu is not limited to mussels, however—it offers other upscale seafood dishes such as tuna tartare, lobster macaroni and cheese, and crab cakes. The restaurant has wine, beer, and a full bar, and also has a somewhat less mussel-centric weekend brunch. Because it’s a little pricey, it’s probably an ideal spot to go with parents—and if the weather is nice, ask to sit out back in the garden.

Who: Amorino Gelato
What: Italian-style French gelato chain
Where: 10thStreet & University Pl.
The location just north of Washington Square will be the first in the U.S. for French chain Amorino, which currently has shops open in France, Germany, Italy, and Spain, among others. Amorino offers gelato in flavors ranging from the borderline boring (chocolate, lemon, strawberry) to the unusual (blood orange crema, something called “Speculos biscuit”); and also boasts a variety of gourmet products, coffee, and “focaccina,” which is brioche served warm or cold and filled with ice cream. The chain seems to follow in the Eataly tradition of high-quality products made from premium ingredients, without any added colors or flavoring. The University Place location is expected to open this summer.

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.