Go Global in NYC: “Study Abroad” in Your Own Backyard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

New York University boasts 13 global academic centers and numerous other affiliate sites across the world. However, the headquaters of the academic hubs is located in the centre of Manhattan, standing in a world in itself. (You can hardly call New York a city, but rather a small globe). Alike to NYU’s global outreach, NYC also extends its arms and embraces cultures – collecting them together in five boroughs for its citizens to discover and enjoy. So, if the Freshman Year abroad is a missed opportunity, if you’re looking for a reminder of your home, or if you would like to try out one of the many global sites, then NYC is the perfect city to explore – with a diverse mix of restaurants, retail and recreation, there’s something for everyone to experiment with.

Food is the language of the world. It is the first thing you try when you encounter a foreign culture and, often, it determines your opinion of that culture. NYC has countless restaurants – Asian, Italian, French, Cuban, you name it! Hallo Berlin serves one of the less appreciated food genres – German. With a restaurant on 10th Ave and a push cart on 54th street and 5th Avenue, this outlet is hard to miss. Traditional German dishes – from sauerkraut to wurtschen –  along with a different soup each day of the week and over 21 brands of beer on the menu (some of which come in liter glass boots) – it seems a more authentic germanic experience in NYC would be difficult to find. Even the Oprah Winfrey show supports the branch, awarding Hallo Berlin the title of the ‘best bratwurst’ in the city.

If, after stocking up on European cuisine, you want to burn a few calories – try a new sport! Australia’s football, Aussie Rules, is practiced at the New York Magpies’ Football Club every Tuesday evening. From March through to September, locals and ‘Aussie expatriates’ alike gather at Queens West Sportsfield to engage in the foreign activity. Not only this, but to accompany the authenticity of the Australian sport, the team celebrates Australia Day every year, so you can immerse yourself in the culture of ‘downunder’ with the Magpies.

Football isnt for you? There’s always another club to join – and with NYC renowned for its nightlife, there are nightclubs everywhere. For an impression of the Mediterranean (Spanish) and the Middle East (Arabic), Bembe offers both within their ‘daily rotation of global sounds’. For an eclecic playlist to your Friday night, this is the place to go – hosting some of NY’s finest DJ’s and original performances (Call to Drum Fridays includes a live percussion set accompanying the DJ’s). Stop by 81 South 6th Street in Brooklyn for a global experience within the NY club – for free!

When you need a new dress for your global night out,  Baci on Mott Street can help you find the perfect outfit from their range of Italian clothing. With multiple brands of shoes, bags and quality clothes, European style is just a Metro ride away. Need some pointers on what to choose or how to wear it? Baci runs a fashion blog on their website – preparing for both NY and Milan fashion week and your next trip to the store (the shoes will convince you to stop by, no doubt).

Sometimes it’s a night to go out and party, other times a cozy apartment and a good book is the perfect night in. Rizzoli Bookstore between 5th and 6th Avenue is the ideal spot to pick up your latest literary choice – in English, Spanish, Italian or French! The bookstore in Manhattan brings the world to you, with multiple editions of foreign language books nestled within the store’s bookcases. They also stock European magazines, so you can stay on track with current affairs in NYU’s other global sites.

To finish off a busy week, as an accompaniment to your novel of choice, a soothing ‘cuppa’ is the only solution. Tea and Sympathy imports tea from the motherland of the teapot – Great Britain. The company has a restaurant, but the store is where the true treasure lines the shelves. Tucked into the NY scenery on Greenwich Ave. in the West Village, you will find own brand teas of every flavour, tea-pots of any shape and size, dozens of packets of Cadbury’s confectionary (the real deal) and, of course, Union Jacks tacked along the shelves. You can also find all their goods online – they deliver – and you can buy ‘tuck boxes’ full of British goodies any time of the year.

Photo Sources:
1 2 3 4 5 6

An Irish student studying at NYU, taking my Freshman Year abroad in London.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.