This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Finding the perfect Christmas gifts for your friends is a challenge every year. What could they really use? What if they already have what I’m getting for them? What if they just don’t like it?!  So many questions! 

As you make your plans for Secret Santa (and procrastinate getting your gift), here are some fun, cheap ideas to consider. 

Bring Back the 90s with Hair Clips

Claw clips, sometimes called Butterfly Clips, have been on the rise again. The small accessory is so easy to use and gives you the perfect 90’s look. If your friends are stunting the TikTok famous curtain bangs, they’d definitely appreciate showing them off with these babies. 

Snap clips/barrettes are also so fun to play with and can be used in so many different ways. From the chunky pearls to the florals and colors, the options are endless. 

Skincare — Because You Care

Skincare is something that everyone should be prioritizing. Make your friends’ holiday by hooking them up with some of your go-to skincare products — it could be something you noticed missing from their routine. 

Perhaps something from Glossier — a nice, clean brand that will not only work well, but will bring aesthetic to your bathroom countertop. 

You could even opt for a small yet thoughtful stocking stuffer, like Tula’s Glow and Get It Eye Balm, or Laneige’s Lip Sleeping Mask.

Can’t Go Wrong with Accessorizing!

Baguette shoulder bags have also been very popular lately.  Big enough to fit your essentials, small enough to amp up your fit without being a burden. These bags are so versatile and go for only about $20 on Amazon, or you can have some fun and dig through a thrift store for an especially vintage look.

Sunglasses can also be fun to mix and match with your outfits, especially the trendy retro ones. Your best bet is to surf the web for cheap yet stylish pairs. There’s no need to buy expensive Ray Bans for your friends when these fun little sunglasses can give them a whole look. 

Miscellaneous

For your friends who like to stay hydrated (which I hope is all of them), getting them a stainless steel tumbler might be the best present they didn’t know they needed. These liquid containers can be used everyday and come in all different shapes and sizes. If iced coffee is now an accessory, these tumblers can hold it in the cutest way possible. 

Disposable cameras can also make for a cool gift, especially for the Instagram-obsessed friends. Now that everyone knows David Dobrik, these cameras have never been so popular. They are such a fun alternative to taking photos on your phone. Getting the perfect moment captured on film could be a fun activity for you and your friends.

If nothing else comes up, throw blankets can be a great gift. One option might be the super-comfortable burrito blanket that’s been making the rounds on social media. People are marveling at how realistic it looks. Not only will it make for the coziest snuggle, but your friends will get a laugh out of it too. 

At the end of the day, it’s not about the material gifts but the intention behind them — “It’s the thought that counts!” We all want to give our friends the world, but for now we may only be able to afford so much. If you and your friends decide to exchange gifts, try to make it less stressful and more fun. 

Currently a sophomore at NYU studying Dramatic Writing! Loves a good story, a cup of coffee, and all things New York City. Can be found on Insta @lilly.ulrich.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.