This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The death of American actor Chadwick Boseman in late August is one that is mourned by people across the country. After silently battling with colon cancer for four years, Boseman died in the company of his wife and family at his Los Angeles residence. While known for bringing Marvel’s superhero to life in the movie “Black Panther,” costars and friends describe Boseman to be just as regal and kind as the king and warrior he played. 

“From Marshall to Da 5 Bloods, August Wilson’s Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and several more – all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy. It was the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther,” notes one of his family members. 

With over 15 films and a dozen appearances in television, Chadwick Boseman will be remembered forever for his lasting legacy in the film industry. Below are just five of his greatest works one can watch in his honor:

“42” (2013)

Where to Watch: iTunes

IMDb Rating: 7.5/10

Probably the film that shot Chadwick Boseman into Hollywood fame, the movie beautifully casts Boseman as Jackie Robinson. The film is set in the mid-1940s and depicts how Robinson helped break the color line in American Major League Baseball with the help of team executive Branch Rickey. 

“Get On Up” (2014)

Where to Watch: HBO Max

IMDb Rating: 6.9/10

“Get On Up” is a biopic of the Godfather of Soul himself- James Brown. Starring Chadwick Boseman, the film follows the life of the singer from his early childhood to his standing as one of the most successful artists of the 20th century. Critics acclaim the casting of the film, as Boseman beautifully captured the spirit of Brown on screen. Co-star Octavia Spencer credits the success of the film “with Chadwick’s believability as James Brown, and he really pulls it off.”

“Marshall” (2017)

Where to Watch: Hulu

IMDb Rating: 7.2/10

Another one of Boseman’s famed biopics, “Marshall” has him portray a young Thurgood Marshall on his way to become the first African American Supreme Court Justice. The movie highlights his early days as a lawyer at the NAACP and Marshall’s first few cases concerning race. The movie was acclaimed for Boseman’s ability to portray the ordinary man and the hero that Thurgood Marshall was. 

“Black Panther” (2018)

Where to Watch: Disney+, Hulu

IMDb Rating: 7.3/10

In this fast-paced, action-packed, Marvel film, Chadwick Boseman powerfully brings King T’Challa to life inspiring thousands of young fans across the country. The film achieved massive success as it earned more than $1.3 billion dollars worldwide, and several nominations- including Best Picture- at the Academy Awards. The film sheds light on several political issues. Many members of the cast and crew credit Boseman for the overall success of “Black Panther.”

“Da 5 Bloods” (2020)

Where to Watch: Netflix

IMDb Rating: 6.5/10

This film is a Vietnam war drama that follows four African American vets as they return to Vietnam to find their fallen square leader. Directed by Spike Lee, the movie provides a unique take on a war movie as it is “bustling, and frenzied with its dramatic energy,” as noted by the Hollywood Reporter. As a supporting actor, critics also claim Boseman deserves high praise and an award for his role in “Da 5 Bloods.”

Maria Kulapurathazhe is currently a student at NYU Tandon School of Engineering, pursuing a degree in Biomolecular Science and a minor in Journalism. Passionate about current research in the medical field today, Maria loves to share the information she finds in writing. Outside of academics, Maria loves catching up on Indian movies, watching old USWNT games, playing badminton, and hanging out with her friends and family in the city.
Senior at NYU studying English and Journalism. Big fan of conspiracy theories, superheroes, and good coffee.