This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

With the new school semester in full swing, you might need to take a minute to sit back and relax… and we have just the thing(s) for you!  Check out some of the new movies recently released on Netflix, Hulu, and in theaters. Here are some of our favorites for this month:

Velvet Buzzsaw (Netflix)

Velvet Buzzsaw could be described in three words: art of dying. Sheltered within the confines of his apartment, recluse and former janitor Vetril Dease imagines and devises the most wondrous, unconventional, and twisted art for generations to come. As unparalleled as his talent is, Dease and his art are troubled by a bloody past – quite literally. When Dease is found dead just outside his apartment, his work falls into the hands of art critics, many of whose fates become intertwined with the paintings they attempt to profit off of. Unbeknownst to them, art is the medium through which they live and die. Much is left untold, leaving the audience wondering and wanting for more.

The Big Lebowski (Hulu)

The Big Lebowski is set in the early 1990s – the painful memories of the Vietnam War were fresh in many Americans’ minds and a new war was on the rise in the Middle East. “The Dude,” otherwise known as Jeffrey Lebowski, is an unemployed middle-aged man living his life to the fullest with a mind-numbing mix of White Russians (a concoction of vodka, coffee-flavored liquor, and heavy cream), a bit of acid, and countless rounds of bowling. The Dude finds himself in some trouble when debt collectors believe he is another, wealthier Jeffrey Lebowski, the husband of the woman who borrowed money from them. The Dude is sent into a whirlwind of intertwining plots, yet he comes out of it seemingly unchanged. After all, “the Dude abides.”

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Hulu)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory hooks you with its meadow of Mint Sugar Grass and Wonka Swirls Lollipops, its rich and creamy chocolate river, and its fun-sized oompa loompas. Willy Wonka, the eccentric founder of Wonka Candy Company, holds a contest to give the five winners of a golden ticket a tour of his very secretive factory and a lifetime supply of chocolate; only one lucky winner will receive a special prize at the end of the tour. The film follows Charlie Bucket in his journey throughout the factory. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reminds us of the innocent pleasures of believing in the possibilities of the impossible, whether its never-melting chocolate ice cream, three course dinner chewing gum, or teleportation. Ultimately, “nothing’s impossible.”

Isn’t It Romantic (In Theaters)

Isn’t It Romantic breaks the fourth wall for the romantic comedy genre. When New York City architect Natalie, played by Rebel Wilson, is knocked unconscious during a subway mugging, she finds herself stuck in an alternative universe where she plays the lead role of her own rom-com. She must find her happily ever after to return to reality, but she struggles to battle with the clichés that plague rom-coms. Isn’t It Romantic brings the ultimate fusion of humor and cynicism to the screens.

We hope you get the chance to catch one of these awesome new movies!

Image Sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Carol Wu is a freshman in the Liberal Studies Core Program, studying away in Washington, DC. When she's not busy Netflixing, she can be found at Starbucks, sipping on a sweet, sweet, icy Refresher. In the near future, she hopes to give in to her wanderlust cravings and make the world her home.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.