Explore Manhattan Neighborhoods: The Eclectic West Village

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.
If you find yourself wandering west of 6th avenue, you’ve entered into what we call the “West Village” (especially if you’re west of 7th).  This quiet, history-rich neighborhood is not only beautiful but has plenty of great cafes to study or places to hang out. 

The West Village is famous for its cafes- and for a reason.  They often not only have great food and coffee, but friendly service and provide an awesome atmosphere in which to study.  
Cafe Panino Mucho Gusto on Hudson has amazing panini sandwiches and lattes, and this small cafe is usually quiet—if it ever gets full, don’t fret, it’s just people working on their laptops like you.  It’s a great place to go get some work done when you need to get out of your apartment or dorm and don’t feel like resorting to Bobst.  Plus there’s great food to boot.

Another favorite is the Soy Cafe on Greenwich Ave and Jane St.  They have rice and hemp milk if you’re so inclined, and they have signs posted that ban cell phones so you don’t have to worry about anyone chattering noisily in your ear.

Hudson Bagels is a great breakfast stop if you’re running for the 1 train (at Christopher St) and you need a quick bite and some coffee.  Cheaper than Starbucks and better than most deli coffee, the workers at Hudson might even remember your order!

Looking to grab a sweet snack but not willing to brave the tourists at Magnolia (located on Bleecker and W 11th if you’ve never had it)?  Sweet Revenge on Carmine (62 Carmine St at Bedford) has arguably the best red velvet cupcake in the city, and the mocha and strawberry are also incredible. It’s definitely worth checking out if you’re looking for somewhere to go out with your girls!

For some quiet time, head to the Garden at St Luke’s Church.  Open to the public, the beautiful garden on the grounds of the church has benches surrounded by greens if you need to forget you’re in Manhattan for awhile and you’re sick of the Washington Square Park setting. 

When the weather warms up, you can’t miss the High Line Park.
 Built on old railroad tracks, the beautiful park runs from Gansevoort to 34th between 10th and 11th Avenues, offering a beautiful view of the Hudson and the Meatpacking District.  It’s especially beautiful at night with all of the lights–there’s even a section near the uptown end specifically designed to sit and watch the cars pass below. 

The Christopher Street Pier along the Hudson also offers a great spot to hang out and enjoy the nice weather–a downtown alternative to Central Park if you’re looking for a grassy area to relax.

As you head back to campus, walk down Grove Street and you’ll probably see tourists taking photos on the corner of Bedford and Grove.  That’s the building exterior used for the apartment building on Friends

If you’re a drama aficionado, stop by the Lucille Lortel on Christopher Street right off of Hudson to see the Playwrights’ Sidewalk–the equivalent of the Hollywood Walk of Fame for famous playwrights.

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.