Disney’s Frozen Will Melt Your Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Disney’s new animated musical Frozen, is a fantastical adventure with a stellar cast, and a fantastic new score; putting it right next to the animated magnate’s most iconic movies.

Based loosely on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, “The Snow Queen,” the film follows the tale of two princesses, sisters Elsa (voiced by Idina Menzel) and Anna (Kristen Bell).  As young children, the sisters are extremely close and play together with Elsa’s magical ability to create snow and ice from her fingertips.  But after a magical-induced accident proves nearly fatal for young Anna, Elsa is forced to live in hiding in the palace in an attempt to control her abilities before someone else comes to harm.  Years later, Elsa – fresh off her coronation as the new Queen of Arendelle – accidentally sets off an eternal winter in a fit of anger and fear, and storms out of the kingdom forever.  Anna must then team up with a rugged mountain man, Kristoff (Jonathan Groff), his pet reindeer Sven, and with the help of Olaf (Josh Gad), an anthropomorphic snowman who likes warm hugs, the unlikely group must find Anna’s runaway sister and restore the kingdom to summer.

The family-friendly flick features many sure-to-be-hit songs, including Elsa’s lament, “Let It Go,” brought powerfully to life by Broadway vet, (and NYU alum!) Idina Menzel.  The beautiful number is visually stimulating with incredible animated effects that truly pop in 3D.  The gorgeous swirling snowy and icy scenery is truly magical.

Kristen Bell, known for her role as the title character in Veronica Mars, was equally luminescent as the younger of the two princesses.  Bell may be known predominantly for her television and film work, but she started out on Broadway, and left NYU Tisch a few credits shy of graduating – and the film truly showcased her somewhat hidden musical ability.

Another stand-out is the comical, “In Summer,” performed by Olaf, who longs to do “what frozen things do in summer”.  The particularly clever, and sassy song, with lyrics like – “winter’s a good time to stay in and cuddle, but put me in summer and I’ll be a…happy snowman!” – is part cabaret, part 11 o’clock Broadway show-stopper.

Frozen is sure to be a new Disney classic.

The moralistic lesson of the film deviates slightly from the traditional movies of this genre.  Frozen is definitely not your typical love story.  With themes of friendship, sisterhood, and having the power to save one’s self, Frozen reaffirms the notions of self-worth and self-empowerment that are imperative life values for viewers’ of all ages.  Both Anna and Elsa have problems that they need to solve, and they find the answers in themselves and within each other.

It is refreshing to see Disney’s studio going back to what they do best – but adding new dimensions along the way.

The movie captures viewers from the first number, and increases in intensity, excitement, and entertainment, straight through until the highly climactic conclusion; following every swirling unbelievable plot twist along the way.

The perfect movie to thaw you as the days get colder, Frozen is sure to melt your heart.

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.