Dare to Get Scared? Horror Movie Recommendations for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Boo! Did I scare you? No? Well, I might not have scared you, but these five movies certainly will:

1. The Lazarus Effect

If you need a movie that will keep you up at night, The Lazarus Effect is the movie for you. It’s bad enough to have a scary creature jump out of nowhere in a scene, but it’s another thing to have that same creature read your mind and know your every thought, insecurity, and fear. When a medical research team attempts to blur the line between life and death, what they achieve is everything they want… and everything they don’t want. Out of all the horror movies I’ve seen–which are a lot–this movie has been, by far, one of the only ones that left me hiding behind my covers.

2. The Ring

The Ring distorts film and reality. A cursed videotape comes to life, along with the woman inside of it. Dressed in a ragged white dress with long, black hair covering her face, she gets closer and closer as she approaches the camera, almost as if she were right in front of you. One moment, she’s on the screen, and the next she’s not. Better not look behind you.

3. The Conjuring

This is the classic movie of a family moving into a new home and getting haunted by the evil spirits dwelling there. While most movies in family-gets-haunted films are mediocre at best, The Conjuring doesn’t fail to meet your expectations of being scary, entertaining, and thrilling. So don’t be fooled by its generic storyline.

4. Before I Wake

What if your dreams came true? Would you ever want to wake up? And what if your nightmares came true? Imagine your worst nightmares, whether it includes Bloody Mary, the Boogeyman, or any other monster. For 8 year old Cody, his dreams of colorful, glowing butterflies are just as beautiful as his nightmares are scary. His nightmares feature the Canker Man, a skeletal creature that haunts his nights. Yet, despite his hideous nightmares, Cody’s sweet and innocent temperament captures your heart, making you want, more than anything, to free him from his suffering.

5. Train to Busan

With all the other movies involving the supernatural, nothing says diversity more than a brain eating film. Train to Busan highlights the events leading up to and following a zombie epidemic in South Korea. It’s just as good as The Walking Dead, if not better. With just enough suspense and gore, this movie is THE brain-licious flick.

If you dare to get scared, watch one, or all, of these movies. Beware!

Image Credits: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Carol Wu is a freshman in the Liberal Studies Core Program, studying away in Washington, DC. When she's not busy Netflixing, she can be found at Starbucks, sipping on a sweet, sweet, icy Refresher. In the near future, she hopes to give in to her wanderlust cravings and make the world her home.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.