A Comprehensive Guide to NYC’s Spring Food Markets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The beginning of spring in New York City can only signify two things. Firstly, we can all leave our apartments with a tad more skin exposed. Secondly, the NYC Spring markets are about to bloom (pun very much intended).

Luckily for us NYUers, New York boasts some of the best food markets in the world. Since we know how hard selecting markets can be, we did all the grunt work for you and narrowed our list down to the scrumptious few below:

Smorgasburg

Smorgasburg, whose name stems from the Swedish word ‘smorgasbord’ for buffet, tops our list of most interesting food markets in the city to see for its scenic views and wide array of food. Every Saturday, Smorgusburg pops up on the sun-drenched banks of the East River in Williamsburg, sporting more than 100 vendors across the globe. You can journey to Jamaica for a delicious piece of Jerk chicken, hit up Japan for some eclectic mochi or please your Insta followers with an artsy pic of your raindrop cake.

Smorgasburg Prospect Park

If you can’t make it to Smorgasburg Williamsburg on Saturday, place your FOMO aside and head over to Smorgasburg Prospect Park on Sunday to enjoy the same, or almost same food selection against a bustling Manhattan backdrop. You may miss the pristine waters of the East River but you will be glad to swap the chilly air near the river for the park’s springtime warmth.  

Dessert Goals

Although the Spring Dessert Goals food festival has ended, it still deserves a mention on this list because of the type of dessert vendors it curates. Dessert Goals is a two-day food festival, located in bohemian Brooklyn that brings desserts like curro s’mores, mochi ice cream, Baonanas whipped pudding, Van Leeuwen ice-cream and many other Instagram-worthy desserts together under one roof. Already excited to go? Buy your tickets early to avoid feeling frustrated the minute it sells out under 30 minutes again.

Queens Night Market

The countdown to the Queens Night Market has officially began. With less than a month left until its Spring 2017 opening, I recommend that you start writing up your official food ‘hit list’. Personally, I have already scoped out C Bao for pork and duck buns, Moffle Bar for Mochi waffles and In Paella for some delicious Valencian paella.Throw your diets, Soul Cycle or stressful studies away on this night and bask in the market’s hypnotic food coma whilst letting the arts, crafts and clothing vendors keep you occupied in between meals.

Hester Street Fair

This Lower East Side street fair boasts a large collection of food and non-food related vendors. The fair lines Hester Street every Saturday and officially opens in May 2017. Be sure to scroll through their website during the month of April to get a comprehensive list of vendors to choose from.

Urbanspace Garment District

Any true New Yorker knows that venturing near Times Square is akin to welcoming unnecessary mental frustration. However, if there was one thing I would brave the tourist-laden Broadway streets for, it would be the Urbanspace Garment District Market. The market only opens in the middle of May so you have plenty of time to emotionally prepare yourself for the throngs of tourists that will flock the same 30 vendors you plan to buy from. Let the inner New Yorker in you shine to get the best deals in this market.

LIC Flea and Food

LIC Flea and Food is quite small in comparison to the other food markets on this list. But that doesn’t mean you should knock if off your foodie adventures list. Where LIC gives you authenticity is in its dedication to promoting local vendors. You can get mouthwatering locally made chocolate souffle, fresh lobster rolls and beef ramen for an affordable rate. Take extra cash with you, though, as the flea market is also known for its glamorous jewelry, makeup and clothing stalls.

Red Hook Food Vendors

This impressive 41-year-old market lines the streets of Brooklyn in the neighbourhood that it was named after. It is regionally loved for its Latin American inspired cuisine and deep-seated commitment to delivering fancy flavours. This market is perfect for those who are looking to explore the spicier depths of food without burning a major hole in their pockets.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com