This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Over spring break, I got the chance to visit the big easy that is New Orleans with two of my friends, in hopes of getting a taste of its lively and exotic culture. From going on a ghost tour to visiting the famous Café du Mondé, the city offered a wide-range of activities that not only made it hard for us to leave, but also has us itching to go back!

Things To Do:

1. Ghost Tour: Next to its booming nightlife sits a big (un)easy past. The French Quarter is home to ghosts that have haunted the streets of the neighborhood ever since they roamed them as humans. If you’re up for it, explore that past with a ghost tour!

2. Take a Streetcar to the Garden District. With just a $3 day ticket, you can hop on the city streetcar and ride to the suburbs outside of the French Quarter. Huge, historic mansions and line tree-covered streets make for a perfect photo-op.

3. Bourbon Street. Hit the city’s classic spot where you can emerge yourself in New Orleans’ best nightlife – from getting a ‘hurricane’ to dancing in a live-music venue.

4. Café Beignet at Music Legends Park. If you’re looking to take part in the city’s jazz scene, check out this spot where you can grab a classic New Orleans beignet and listen to local musicians.

Places To Eat:

1. Café du Mondé. Synonymous of New Orleans is the famous Café du Mondé, located along the Mississippi River. Open 24/7, the joint only serves beignets and select beverages. They aren’t shy on the powdered sugar, either.

2. Bearcat Cafe. Take a trendy SoHo restaurant, now put it in New Orleans. Located in the Garden District, this spot serves southern comfort food in a trendy setting.

3. French Market. Essentially New Orleans’ version of Chelsea Market, this market has everything from food to jewelry vendors.

4. Horn’s. This small spot epitomizes southern cooking. While its looks may be deceiving, this hole in the wall is worth a visit.

With so many things to do and foods to try, New Orleans is unquestionably worth your time and money. From affordable flights and hotel costs to ghost tours and beignets, the southern city is perfect for any college student looking to spend some time away on their next break!

Images are author’s own.

Hi! I'm Kate, and I'm a junior at New York University majoring in English.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.