Book piled over each other
Book piled over each other
Original photo by Priyal Maheshwari

Check Out These Bookstores Around NYU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Hey there, my favorite book readers! With midterm season coming to an end and the dreaded second midterm wave is about to hit, I am here to relieve a little stress. If you are anything like me, one of your favorite ways to de-stress is to visit a bookstore and just completely submerge yourself in your favorite book genre. Currently, my favorite genre is romantic fiction, specifically rom-coms like Red, White and Royal Blue. Here are three amazing bookstores I’ve visited this year to have a walk around NYU and unwind. Let’s dive right in! 

1. Mercer Street Books & Records

This was the first bookstore I visited when I came back to New York City, after the year long “COVID-break.” This bookstore is very close to Tisch Hall, and is located in a beautiful neighbourhood. Their collection of books is very diverse, ranging from beautiful literature to classic sci-fi books. Opened in 1990, their expertise lies in old novels, novellas etc., but if you are looking for something very fresh, this might not be the best place for you to go. However, it is a perfect place for readers to dive deep into the classics. Personally, I loved the bookstore and even ended up buying The Prisoner and The Penguin by Giles Lury. 

Mercer Bookstore entrance
Original photo by Priyal Maheshwari

Did I mention they have an awesome music vinyl collection? Despite not collecting vinyl, I enjoyed looking at their collection and could tell it was something extraordinary. If you like vinyl records, you have to visit Mercer Street Books & Records!

Being a local bookstore during the pandemic, Mercer Bookstore has been facing struggles to stay open. Check out their GoFundMe Campaign here. Check out their Instagram page here.

2. Carmine Street Comics

Not to my taste, Carmine Street Comics was actually the first ever comic bookstore I visited. To my surprise, I was not at all disappointed. I loved their layout because it had a cozy atmosphere. They have loads of old, classic comics and a whole section dedicated to New York related books/comics, which was my personal favorite. However, it’s not just a comic bookstore, they also have an Artistic Place where you can let your creativity flow! It is truly one of the best bookstores I’ve visited and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

Inside of Carmine Street Bookstore
Original photo by Priyal Maheshwari

Their artist place is something worth visiting! Check out their Instagram page here

3. Strand Bookstore

If you are a booklover and have been living in NYC for sometime you must have heard of Strand Bookstore. If you haven’t, allow me to introduce this stunning bookstore, with a bounty of books from all genres imaginable to rare books. Their shop’s content of books is as vast as the collection seen in the library from Beauty and the Beast. Other than that, they also have aesthetically pleasing book accessories, mugs, socks, tote bags and so much more. I would highly recommend checking out the Strand Bookstore whenever you are in New York City because this indie bookstore will take you to book heaven. 

Strand Bookstore
Original photo by Priyal Maheshwari

Fun fact – Strand Bookstore is the largest bookstore in NYC and it was founded in 1927! See their Instagram page here

So, what are you waiting for? Grab a cup of coffee, and go check out these awesome bookstores. To get more bookish updates, check out this page!

Hi! I'm a junior at NYU Stern studying Data Science and Marketing. I love to read and is passionate about astronomy, and cooking! I also write for my anonymous own blog. Want to have a chat? Contact me at pm2982@nyu.edu or reach out to me on Instagram (@_priyal.maheshwari_)!
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu